AMG do not need step 3 before applying for H1b

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomsuntom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there has been some misinformation on this forum. The latest information I have gathered is that american medical graduates do NOT need to take step 3 when applying for H1B. Only international medical graduates have this requirement.

The UMass medical school website says this: http://www.umassmed.edu/hr/immigration_services/immigration-packets-forms/h-packet/

Duke also implies this:
https://visaservices.duke.edu/category/h1b/index.php

I have also seen one thread in 2008 on SDN with an AMG saying they got H1b without taking step 3.
Anyone have more information?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really understanding why AMG will need a Visa, unless you meant FMG...just wondering.

Not really understanding why AMG will need a Visa, unless you meant FMG...just wondering.
there are some foreign nationals that are in US MD schools (not sure about DO schools), but the % is small. If the are not GC holders, then they will need a visa to work in a residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, OP you are correct. The problem is that if you don't pass Step 3, you won't get a license, and if you don't have a license, you'll only get an H1b for 1 year. At least that's how it was for me.

So pass your Step 3 at the beginning of intern year and get licensed in your state as soon as you can if you want less headaches.

Reactions: 1 user
You are correct, at least theoretically. By the official state department rules, a non-citizen who needs a work visa who graduates from a US school does not need Step 3 for an H1b. However, the state department when processing applications may or may not make this distinction. If they reject it because of a lack of step 3, even if incorrect, it might take more time to try to "fix" the problem than to just take Step 3.

In any case, it usually is a moot point because you're much better off completing your intern year on an OPT visa, which is an extension of your F student visa. You'll take Step 3 because everyone does in intern year, and then apply for an H. We usually have our folks in this situation plan for Step 3 earlier rather than later in the year, as visa processing can be slow.

The only time I could see this really mattering is if you are in a US school but not on an F visa. I don't know what that would look like. Perhaps one could be on a TN visa of some sort. If someone was in med school on DACA, that might also be a reason to try to get an H immediately (but I don't know if someone who is in DACA status would qualify for an H).

Last, your chances of matching in mid March and then getting an H visa by June are slim. It's a slow process. You'll end up with a late start, most likely.

Reactions: 2 users
You are correct, at least theoretically. By the official state department rules, a non-citizen who needs a work visa who graduates from a US school does not need Step 3 for an H1b. However, the state department when processing applications may or may not make this distinction. If they reject it because of a lack of step 3, even if incorrect, it might take more time to try to "fix" the problem than to just take Step 3.

In any case, it usually is a moot point because you're much better off completing your intern year on an OPT visa, which is an extension of your F student visa. You'll take Step 3 because everyone does in intern year, and then apply for an H. We usually have our folks in this situation plan for Step 3 earlier rather than later in the year, as visa processing can be slow.

The only time I could see this really mattering is if you are in a US school but not on an F visa. I don't know what that would look like. Perhaps one could be on a TN visa of some sort. If someone was in med school on DACA, that might also be a reason to try to get an H immediately (but I don't know if someone who is in DACA status would qualify for an H).

Last, your chances of matching in mid March and then getting an H visa by June are slim. It's a slow process. You'll end up with a late start, most likely.
@aProgDirector, do you have a source for this? I know I'm going to be dealing with this very soon. Please and thank you!