Amide Reduction with LiAlH4 ...which is right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8586

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Qvault and Destroyer...which is right? or are they both because the Et2O is the difference maker?

amide.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I think Destroyer one(right side) is right one. Because here -NHR is a bad leaving group. Chad mentions in video 4.4
at 11:30-12:23. It completey dexoxygentaes Amide and forms Amine. DOn't know mechanism. But u can check out here http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Ch22/ch22-2-2-4.html. From the answers shown dATqvault , I would pick the D as well because all other looks more wrong . It means answer choice is wrong here.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can lose an ethyl group by using LiAlH4...datQvault does not seem to be right

I was puzzled too... I have see a couple of mistakes. THe other day (dont remember what test) there was an elimination with a bulky base and for some reason the answer was the zeivtec product, when it should have been Hoffman. But in those puzzling questions there seems to be one only one reasonable answer like in this one. Only one has the fully reduced amine. Oh well :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend qvualt oc and gc even though it has some mistakes? has it helped?

Definitely diene! I think they are super helpful and for what i have heard here they are a little harder than the real deal... So you can expect a little higher on the real test. I recommend it even though i havent take the test lol... June 28th :D

thanks for the responses...so yeah ill stick with destroyer's answer...theres def mistakes all over and it sucks not knowing when theres mistakes sometimes, but i guess its still good practice...the bio section seems to be the most accurate and mistake-free and also has the best explanations....the chem and orgo have weird concepts, some weird reagents or weirdly depicted reagents, and are really lacking in the explanations....if you want extra practice id recommend it, but idk if id want it as a primary source, maybe right after destroyer and chads