Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
We had a DOA Shar Pei come into the hospital today, and the owner requested that we necropsy and preserve a kidney for an amyloidosis screen using Congo Red Dye. We (unsuccessfully) looked for information on how to preserve the kidney for this kind of test and also where to send the kidney for this type of screening. It sounds like we'll pull both kidneys, put one in Saline and one in Formalin, and talk to the owner's RDVM in the morning (it's 9pm on Monday night at the emergency clinic) to get the rest of the info, but I figured I'd troll and see if anyone knows anything about this screening.
So! Anyone know if their school runs Congo Red Dye screens for amyloidosis, or is doing research on familial amyloidosis in the breed?? Anyone ever participated in one, or preserved a kidney for one?
I just thought this was a kind of random and interesting thing to have happen, emergency is so entertaining that way...
We had a DOA Shar Pei come into the hospital today, and the owner requested that we necropsy and preserve a kidney for an amyloidosis screen using Congo Red Dye. We (unsuccessfully) looked for information on how to preserve the kidney for this kind of test and also where to send the kidney for this type of screening. It sounds like we'll pull both kidneys, put one in Saline and one in Formalin, and talk to the owner's RDVM in the morning (it's 9pm on Monday night at the emergency clinic) to get the rest of the info, but I figured I'd troll and see if anyone knows anything about this screening.
So! Anyone know if their school runs Congo Red Dye screens for amyloidosis, or is doing research on familial amyloidosis in the breed?? Anyone ever participated in one, or preserved a kidney for one?
I just thought this was a kind of random and interesting thing to have happen, emergency is so entertaining that way...