An Elective in Punjab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMann2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Hope all is well. I'm hoping to do an elective in Punjab during one of my breaks this year. I have just finished 3 years of my medical degree, and have another 3 left. I wouldn't have that much ward experience, but can take histories and do physicals without much required help.

In saying that, I would prefer to do an elective in Ludhiana, and hence, have been searching on the internet to find a suitable hospital. Whilst searching, I came across CMC and DMC. (they seem to have more web access) I was hoping to get feedback from people who attend medical school, or who are practicing physicians, at these hospitals/colleges. In particular, I would like to know about the teaching facilities - are the doctors up to teach, or are you left on your own? Do any of the hospitals have a certain area of speciality? Which one would you recommend? If anyone has done an elective there - your feedback would be much appreciated.

Also, any feedback regarding electives in punjab would be great, as I have been to India several times, but never really to "check out" the hospitals and medical uni's. Finally, if anyone knows of any medical groups that do visits to hospitals/doctors in villages... that sort of stuff... let me know..

Thanks a bunch :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
it is gud to hear that u want to do your elective in punjab. DMC and CMC will be best for you if you want to do in punjab for sure.DMC have NRIs as students and it is best institute of punjab.
best of luck
you are welcome for any of your inquiries.

Hi! I have done an elective in surgery at PGI in Chandigarh. It is ranked second or third in post-graduate medical education in India, and is a very good teaching hospital. I saw a huge number of different cases, as it's a hub for patients coming from Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh. Chandigarh is also a beautiful and very relaxed city, full of greenery and not so much pollution. The residents are worked to death, but if you can find a good place to live, PGI is an excellent option for an elective in Punjab. (Plus, you get to experience crazy Punjabi humor - always a good thing!)

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to doc081 - I don't think DMC is nearly as well-known as PGI. In my opinion, PGI is the medical address in Punjab.

To the OP: go to http://pgimer.nic.in/ and check out elective training under Educational/Training & Courses/ Training.

Hope it works out for you, whichever institute you choose! Good luck!

I don't mean to take over your thread but I have some specific questions related to medical schools in Punjab. There are very few threads on these forums dealing specifically with Punjab medical schools.

Anyways, I have been thinking about going to the medical school in Amritsar. I have heard that if you make a large "donation" to the medical school (like 40 Lakhs ~about $120,000 dollars), they will accept NRIs without doing any entrance tests or marks. Is that true? Also, what is the chance of doing well there, if you have grown up in North America and you are used to American style of teaching? During your time there, did you notice any students from foreign countries?

Hey there! ...

Thanks to everyone for their input! Had a few more questions in regards to how the system works in Punjab/India. How teaching orientated are they? Do they just leave it up to you? Or actually be proactive? Or does it just depend on who you get? Is it better to set up an elective through someone who is in the medical profession in Punjab? Or just not involve the family docs? What about health risks?

I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, just that I want to know what I'm getting into before signing up for an elective. How many weeks would you recommend - 4? or 6? I've heard that people who do electives in India get alot more hands on experience - i.e. setting up lines, etc stuff that as a medical student in north america/europe you wouldn't be allowed to do. How fas is that true??

Thanks for any help :)