an error in first aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
on page 219 in the 2003 edition:

T cell activation: the diagram shows CD8 coming out of the virus infected cell and binding to the T cell receptor. isnt CD8 suppose to be from the t cell and isnt it suppose to bind MHC-1 on the infected cell?....or am i totally wrong??

sorry if i sound like a nerd :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. I've heard there's quite a few mistakes in that book. Glad you caught one one them.

Are there any other errors out there? I know many will be using this as a primary source for studying...so it would be great to point out any errors anyone has run into

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely be on your toes with the first aid books. i used the first aid for both step 1 and 2 and found multiple errors. more in 2 than 1, but enough to make me sometimes wonder how they made it through editing :)

come on...no book is perfect... where are the errors everyone??

I would imagine they are so minute they don't make a differance. Actually I follow 1st aid with the other review books like say...brs, and I have noticed clear contradictions b/w some things stated. ....and funny thing... I always give 1st aid the benefit of the doubt.... But its always something vague like ...such and such disease is prevalant in blank % of ppl.....while the text will be significantly diff........

O.K. Here. Reading today Pharma....Lippincott's 2003 updated edition pg 233.....Mannitol(osmotic diuretic) says used for INC. Intracranial Pressure, Comparing with my 2002 1st Aid....says uses are DEC. Intracranial/Intraocular Pressure.
This time I'm siding with Lippincott

Originally posted by drmommy1
O.K. Here. Reading today Pharma....Lippincott's 2003 updated edition pg 233.....Mannitol(osmotic diuretic) says used for INC. Intracranial Pressure, Comparing with my 2002 1st Aid....says uses are DEC. Intracranial/Intraocular Pressure.
This time I'm siding with Lippincott

I dont think FA is wrong here...you just interpreted it incorretly. I read it as " its clinincal use is to decrease intracranial/intraocluar pressure"

I know what you guys are saying BUT read in context , The whole line is:

Mechanism: INC. tubular Fluid Osmolarity, Producing Inc. Urine Flow.
Clinical Use: ARF,Shock,Drug Overdose, Dec. Intracranial Pressure.

Now doesn't that mean that if it will dec. intracranial pressure, (as you've interpretted it) it will also cause a drug overdose.,Renal Failure, and Shock?????????

No.

That throws us in class sometimes, my pharm professor even made an error talking about indomethacin. When he got to his slides, he remarked that it was used clinically to "treat pulmonary hypertension caused by premature closure of the ductus arteriosus" when he meant to say that was a negative effect of pre-term use.

I think you probably understand what mannitol is for, this would dnot be considered a typo, just a space-saver (i.e. leave out the word treat when talking about shock and OD). Admittedly, space-savers can be confusing in their own right, so you do have to be careful.

Yeah, You know I also honestly think any true typo or mistake in any book will not make a differance as long as we have a concept of what we're doing.

Hey-

Is this another error? On page 83 of the 2003 edition it says "indomethacin closes the foramen ovale"

I know it closes the PDA but does it also close the foramen ovale?

Thanks,

Joe

For the book Step Up, I've seen an Errata page to correct the errors in it, but is there a listing of errors for First Aid?
Are there any errors that anyone else has picked up?
thanks!