An ethical question about drug use....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillibean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my co-workers is seriously addicted to vicadin. She takes ~10/day and has for the last couple of years. She asks me everyday if the doc I shadow could get her some (to which I say 'no' everyday). If she doesn't have any one day, her mood/personality changes 180 degrees and she is so angry/full of rage.. its a little scary actually. I feel like I should suggest she get help, but I don't even know her. Plus, where do people even go for pain med addictions?

Members don't see this ad.

google "prescription addiction help"

Find any one of the organizations, and give them a call/email. Tell them your situation, and they'll help you out. Your situation is not unique, and I'm sure they've dealt with it before.

If you just want to do it all yourself, my advice is to talk to the person thats addicted. From experience, this will most likely go no where, but IMO talking to the police won't go anywhere good. One of those organizations is best.

I would just refuse to give them to her and I would offer her help and be understanding. You probably plan on becoming a doctor, the first step is to connect with someone and understand their afliction, find out what's wrong etc. You probably did that already, the second step is to offer help, find out how she can find help. As long as she isn't harming other people then there's no need to turn her in or anything. Just try to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just try to help.

I don't want to rag on you or take over this thread, but that really doesn't work. If someone is addicted, they'll do anything for more ____. Help is often traumatic for the helper and the helpee, so especially if you don't know the person well, get professional help with your helping.

I don't want to rag on you or take over this thread, but that really doesn't work. If someone is addicted, they'll do anything for more ____. Help is often traumatic for the helper and the helpee, so especially if you don't know the person well, get professional help with your helping.

That's what I mean, help by promoting her to find professional help, but just don't lose the trust you gained with her.

Yeah, that's a real tough one. It's very hard not to get involved in their drama, so exercise caution. You already are doing the right thing by choosing not to enable her. Generally they won't hear a word you are saying in regard to their habits because to do so would be to face into their addictions. It's really best when they come to you, but letting them know that you care can be helpful. If you feel into the situation and you think it'll help (because most addicts aren't really interested in your feedback; they focus on denial), however, you could try gently confronting her with something like, "I notice that you are taking quite a lot of pills everyday, I feel _____, and have a thought it seems to be not serving you. Is everything okay, are you doing okay?" Obviously, you need to check into what words seem appropriate. If she gets all defensive, then you should probably back off and leave her with, "I'm available if you should ever want to talk." If she asks for help, I'd recommend sending her to AA, they are very experienced at dealing with addictions of any sort. Be careful of her trying to drag you into her addictive patterns; know when to let it go if it comes to that.

Not to sound like a biotch, but have you thought about taking it to HR? You could talk to your/her supervisor about having her suspended from work pending successful completion of rehab. This is pretty common, and many companies will do it confidentially and will not fire the person if they comply and stay clean. You have the right not to have to work with someone who is abusive when they aren't feeding their addiction. Ignoring it will just allow her to keep harming herself. Check out your company's policies. Also, some companies have confidential employee assistance programs where you can talk on the phone to someone anonymously for advice on how to handle things like this.

Not to sound like a biotch, but have you thought about taking it to HR? You could talk to your/her supervisor about having her suspended from work pending successful completion of rehab. This is pretty common, and many companies will do it confidentially and will not fire the person if they comply and stay clean. You have the right not to have to work with someone who is abusive when they aren't feeding their addiction. Ignoring it will just allow her to keep harming herself. Check out your company's policies. Also, some companies have confidential employee assistance programs where you can talk on the phone to someone anonymously for advice on how to handle things like this.

Yeah, there's the school of thought that says things have to get worse before they can get better. In other words, if she can live her life just fine with her addiction, she has no real reason to want to kick the habit. Many people only quit when they HAVE to. But you have to decide if you want to be the one to put her in that position.

Have to agree with xildupnawth. You don't know this woman very well and it is not your responsibility or your place to help her. That could really just put you in a very uncomfortable position. Remember, as much as we want to be, we're not doctors yet. However, it is your right to work in a safe environment. Her addiction is negatively effecting you, notify HR immediately.

Just because there's an old adage about things getting worse before they get better doesn't mean you should automatically throw someone under the bus.

I don't know the person so it's hard to give good advice about this. If you feel comfortable, ask her questions to see if she admits to an ailment. I say that because you still have a way out if she starts acting uncomfortable or defensive.

Talk to the doctor you shadow. They might be able to offer some advice.

Yeah, that's a real tough one. It's very hard not to get involved in their drama, so exercise caution. You already are doing the right thing by choosing not to enable her. Generally they won't hear a word you are saying in regard to their habits because to do so would be to face into their addictions. It's really best when they come to you, but letting them know that you care can be helpful. .

If she's not asking for your help, she won't want it. Point blank. Most addicts will do what they can (and network with whomever they can) to get them their stash. Not to be harsh. I know you want to help. Its hard watching someone self-destruct and even harder if you are close with that person. I would be open with her if she's told you about her addiction. Tell her that she may have a problem and people can help her if she wants it. If she hasn't come out point blank and talked to you about it, its really not any of your business unless its hurting herself or the company.

There is NA (Narcotics Anonymous) that can help out with this issue. My advice is to stay out of it unless she comes to you for help or you truly believe she's a hazard to herself or to the company's working environment. Most often addicts can be come increasing unstable and I don't want to see you be hit with backlash from her (Yes I know of incidents where "things" have happened). Another idea is to confidentially approach a senior level employee/supervisor whom you trust. They might actually be on to her or maybe they have no idea. Even so they are on more of a position to confront her over you.

Have to agree with xildupnawth. You don't know this woman very well and it is not your responsibility or your place to help her. That could really just put you in a very uncomfortable position. Remember, as much as we want to be, we're not doctors yet. However, it is your right to work in a safe environment. Her addiction is negatively effecting you, notify HR immediately.

I totally agree. If this person was your best friend, then sure - bang your head against the wall trying to help. This person is not your best friend, not your patient, and not your responsibility.