An Extra Rec Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st85

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am on so many waitlists and it is almost May 15th, do you guys think I should send schools another letter of rec? I have been doing research for the past 8 months and my boss said I could write the letter of rec for him and he would just sign it and send it, so I know it would be a good letter of rec. Also, I have been published while doing this research. What do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

if it's this kind of letter (written by yourself) , i would say 'no'
if it's a legit letter, sure.

but in reality, since it's going to be a great letter for sure..why not?

Noone else has an opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
i say do it...i may send another one myself...

So should I send this extra letter of rec to schools that I have been specifically waitlisted by? What about schools like Tufts where I got delayed decision, or Georgetown, where I got the competitive applicant list? Or what about schools that I had a late interview at and still havent heard from, should I wait to hear from them or just go ahead and send the extra letter?

Go ahead and sent it to all of those. It couldn't hurt.

i would think that pulling out all the stops now is the way to go. update them all with what you've been doing couched in a nice letter of intent, and of course you should make it sound like whatever research you're doing is nobel material ;)
get the letters out there asap.

and good luck!!!

I sent in THREE more letters... because I'm crazy like that. :D

But seriously, I think its a good idea. If the letters don't do anything, it will at least tell the school that you're still very much interested. I also included a letter to the admissions committee talking about all the extra shadowing and research I've done. But at the end, don't tell them to reconsider, just tell them you're giving them an update (be diplomatic!).

Also, call the school to make sure they got it shortly after too! (Dude, I seriously stalk the staff).

Although, I'm not sure how MD schools respond to extra stuff, since so many more people apply (I only did DO schools). But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt!!! GLUCK! :luck: