An Extra Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was thinking about spending an extra year in college. I am an anthropology major, and bio and english minor. In order to finish, without summer classes (my summers involve research and such), i have to take 17 or 18 credits a semester of classes alone, plus i want to do other credit-worthy things such as being a TA. I also want to take the MCATs in the summer, not the spring and maybe even study out of the country for a bit. Basically, my question is: how is it looked upon if i graduated in 5 years for no specific reason? I would graduate with way more credits than needed, but i would also take some upper level bio courses that would be useful. Additionally, what do you guys think of the idea? Is it worth it to give up an entire year of your life to spend an extra year in college? Would you much rather finish in 4 years? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Mansoor,
That is just what I did. Took the MCAT's in August after my Junior Year. Then applied the following year. It worked out great for me. I got in to a great school in state and have done well. Suprisingly, no one every asked me why I did it. Just make sure to keep your grades up that last year--it can be hard to concentrate at times. Enjoy it--it is a great time in life.

PS--I graduated with 267 quarter hours after five years. :p

No one can tell you if it is worth giving up an extra year to go to college. I that is a completely personal decision. It seems as if you have already decided that you do want to do it. I don't think that med schools will see anything wrong with it taking you five years to complete considering you were earning two minors as well as your degree.

Go ahead and take an extra year! It's not "for no particular reason", as you have lsted some great reasons here--you want to TA, do more research, perhaps study abroad, etc. It sounds like delaying a year will really fill out your college experience. Go ahead and do it. In the end you'll be a more interesting applicant, and probably a happier person to boot. And trust me--the adcomms won't care AT ALL that you took 5 years instead of 4.