PCOM vs NYIT, does it justify 30k-40k extra a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applejuiceandpretzels

Reaction score
Im deciding between living at home for NYIT and moving out for PCOM. Do the benefits offered by PCOM justify spending an additional 30k a year before interest for the cost of living? It's hard to justify spending an extra 120k/170k(post interest, according to a loan interest calculator)to attend PCOM for 4 years. This is not considering the tuition..in total it would be 60k + 30k every year before interest. There is no doubt in my mind that PCOM is overall the better school... but is it worth an extra 120k/170k after all is said and done? What does everyone else think? Am I looking at this with too much bias?

This would be via Grad Plus loans at 7.54%.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only if you wish to pursue one of the competitive specialities that PCOM has a home program in. Otherwise no, and even having a home program does not make up for the fact you would need to excel or that you end up finding something else more interesting.

Would you consider anesthesia as one of those specialties? Would you say PCOM gives more opportunities in anesthsia? It doesnt have a home program in anesthesia but I wondered if it's history plays a role in connections.

I was thinking something similar along the lines of your post. I was thinking of pursuing anesthsia, EM, and family. With the latter two, acting as a backup(possible dual applying one of those with anesthesia). Ive read that those two specialties arent competitive, so im not too worried about choosing the best possible school. But ive read how anesthesia is becoming more desirable and who knows I might find another specialty more desirable...so I dont want to close doors so quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYITCOM is a fine school and saving over six figures will decrease your debt load and interest at the end. Going to PCOM, especially with its 3 campuses, does not guarantee a spot in its home program therefore NYITCOM > PCOM

Reactions: 1 user
@chilly_md

Would you say its only worth if I am interested in these specialities? Is there another specialty i should add?

Derm, opthomology, orthopedics, ENT, surgery

@chilly_md

Would you say its only worth if I am interested in these specialities? Is there another specialty i should add?

Derm, opthomology, orthopedics, ENT, surgery
Yes, like I mentioned before, only those since there are home residencies for them at PCOM.

To add, approximately 30% of each of PCOM's residency programs are comprised of graduates from the three PCOM campuses. So on average 3-4 residents in each program.

Thanks everyone! I think it will be better to stay at home for a few more years to save money and take my chances with away rotations inorder to make my way out of new york

Thanks everyone! I think it will be better to stay at home for a few more years to save money and take my chances with away rotations inorder to make my way out of new york
Congrats! NYITCOM had a neurosurgery match in 2022, showcasing how reputable the school is. Best of luck future doctor!