An informed decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayte

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not sure why we spend so much time on this list talking about what to wear to the pre-interview dinner and such little time talking about what programs are good and bad and what makes them that way. I will be interviewing soon and I feel like I know very little beyond rumors. Even attendings at my home institution werent very helpful. Are the top programs really the best training and offer the most support to their residents? Can we really figure this out by going to their interview? If it isnt the job of this message board, then where else do we find program-specific information?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what information you are looking for. The interview impressions thread has many years worth of specific program reviews outside of the "top 10." Positives and negatives are discussed extensively. What more do you want??

I rotated at a place where the residents seemed blindsided by their workload and hours; when I read the reviews of this place on sdn they don't stack up at all to what I saw there. So I don't want to find myself in the same position as those residents. We're so busy being pc and fair here that it feels like a disservice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I rotated at a place where the residents seemed blindsided by their workload and hours; when I read the reviews of this place on sdn they don't stack up at all to what I saw there. So I don't want to find myself in the same position as those residents. We're so busy being pc and fair here that it feels like a disservice.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the reviews here are fairly wothless because no one is willing to out the malignant/bad programs. However, I can't blame anyone due to the fact that the field is just too small to be truly anonymous. The other subspecialty forums have very detailed reviews, but it is much easier for them to maintain anonymity.

I rotated somewhere where they had significant board issues and the work hours were atrocious. When I look at the reviews here, it never is mentioned. There is no way that it will come out in interviews either. I think the only way to know is to rotate. Two other places I rotated at were stellar. I am really curious to see if I can tell any differences at my interviews of the three aforementiond places. I am planning on extrapolating that to my other interviews.

Dude, what are you asking? The interview impressions are exactly what you are talking about unless you assume people are lying anonymously. If they are lying there, why would they tell the truth when you ask, "No really, tell me the real deal about the programs, because I want the real deal, not the fake deal."

If you look at 'em, they seem to be pretty true - MSKCC is amazing but they work their tails off, MDACC is the cancer mecca of the galaxy, Harvard residents are the most funnest and bestest, but Pitt remains the greatest residency program ... ever.

In all seriousness, there are a few "malignant" programs, but the rest are pretty great and offer varying educational, research, and clinical experiences in different cities. Having interviewed at a ton of practices and working with people from all over, people's experiences aren't a whole lot different. This isn't medicine or surgery, it's just different. Most programs are small, you interact with a small number of faculty, and not much changes in the program year-to-year. Yes, most people are not going to say, "Dr. SimulD was such a prick and I couldn't imagine training under him" or "Gfunk doesn't know his elbow from his level III lymph nodes," but at the same time, if you are complaining about rad-onc residency, what aren't you going to complain about?

-Simul

It appears this is exactly the attitude the residents had where I rotated. And boy will I tell you they were disappointed. Your beloved sdn reviews say nothing about that for this place. And I don't believe they are the only ones. I just don't want to find out once it's too late so cut those of us applying and trying to sort through the rumors some slack and stay off this post if your past residency because your input isn't helping

So instead of whining about it, why don't you man up and write a review?

Also, I categorically reject your assertion that all the reviews are sunshine and butterflies. For instance, everyone knows I'm high on UCSF but this is what I wrote ~ 6 years ago when I applied.

I thought I should begin with the positive b/c UCSF seems to have gotten a bad rap on SDN. However, in fairness, here comes the bad stuff IMO . . .

Though everyone is happy that Roach has assumed leadership, I think many would say (not openly) that the department kind of stagnated under Wara. A lot of tech advances were not acquired quickly and some faculty began to become apathetic towards the residency program. This means that some attendings will not actively teach residents unless you solicit them to do so. Attendance at resident conferences was also lacking historically. Really, you were lucky if one attending showed up (hopefully an expert in the organ site you were discussing).

The department has two locations, one in Parnassus and one in Mt. Zion. While the latter is quite new and very nice (the main HQ) Parnassus is kind of old and run down (this is where the GK, CK and most of the CNS stuff is done). This will not likely change in the near future b/c both Neuro-Oncology and Neurosurgery have their offices/clinical facilities near Parnassus.

A lot of these things, particularly the residency program, are predicted to have drastic positive changes in the near future according to faculty and residents. I agree that this is good, but should be taken in perspective as other posters mentioned.

And keep in mind that I was an APPLICANT when I wrote this review. And guess what? Not only did I end up matching at UCSF, I wound up getting a great job afterwards. Nobody came up to me and said, "Gfunk6, your career is over because you wrote a negative review on SDN." NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU POST ANONYMOUSLY ON THE INTERNET unless it is deliberately malicious.

It's easy to anonymously complain about a free web-resource but it takes actual work to contribute and help current & future applicants. I suggest you do the latter or shut your pie hole.

Last edited:
Damn. Not if you put it that way, rebel.
This is really why I wanted you especially to stay off this post becuase it's always about gfunk and what he did. I wanted to start a conversation about how to use these reviews and bring other rotators in to discuss their real experiences, not hear about what ucsf and the drastic positive changes they are about to undergo.

This is the point of interviewing. Figure it out for yourself, don't rely on the opinion of people you do not know.

As much as I'd like to agree with the see-for-yourself approach, I found the negatives about programs posted on SDN to almost always be true. It can be hard to really tell a program's strengths and weaknesses in one day of interview. Programs put their best foot forward on those days. Applicants will find it hard to ignore asking about what is brought up on SDN. Without SDN you would probably have little idea about a program's weaknesses.

IMO, you should pay special attention to feedback when choosing away rotations. It might save you from rotating at a program that won't interview you, won't give you a positive letter, or that you won't like due to some factor like a malignant atmosphere.