An internship/residency question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannMann99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, in med school you go:

4 years in school, then x years in residency.

Where does the internship fit in?

Are post residency fellowships required? For certain specialties?

Whats this traditional internship I keep hearing about in osteopathy, and what are the 5 states?

-Thanks again, I feel like I should know this stuff but I dont.

Members don't see this ad.

4 years in school, then x years in residency.

Where does the internship fit in? Your intern year is considered your first year of residency.

Are post residency fellowships required? For certain specialties? Fellowships are not required, but allow you to have an additional year of training in a specialty (ie for ortho trauma, hand, sports, etc)

Whats this traditional internship I keep hearing about in osteopathy, and what are the 5 states? The traditional year is required to be board certified to practice in PA, FL, MI, WV, and OK. During this year, you rotate for a month or two through different medical/surgical disciplines, much as you would in 3/4 year of med school.

Hm. I'm going to PCOM in philly. If I choose not to practice in PA and to practice instead in NJ or NY or even MD will I need that trad. internship... At that rate will I be allowed to enter a residency in PA without that intern year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest going to www.do-online.org and clicking on the students tab. There is a section entitled "The AOA’s New Internship Format for July 2008" that goes into what exactly you have to do to meet the internship requirements for those 5 states with regards to the AOA.

What about if students elect to do an ACGME instead of an AOA residency/internship, are they still prohibited to practice in those five states unless they have completed a traditional rotating AOA internship?

Hm. I'm going to PCOM in philly. If I choose not to practice in PA and to practice instead in NJ or NY or even MD will I need that trad. internship... At that rate will I be allowed to enter a residency in PA without that intern year?

If you go to school in Pa, but do not plan to practice in one of those 5 states, you are not required to complete the internship. Only if you are going to practice in one of the 5 states, are you required to complete an internship (or get Resolution 42 approval).

You can enter an ACGME approved residency in the 5 states without completing an intern year before-hand. You will not be able to get an unrestricted license without getting resolution 42 approval for your residency - this means no moonlighting, no fellowships in those states, and you cannot practice there after you are done.

What about if students elect to do an ACGME instead of an AOA residency/internship, are they still prohibited to practice in those five states unless they have completed a traditional rotating AOA internship?

Yes, or unless they get Resolution 42 approval of your residency.

Please forgive my ignorance. I have done a search on this topic and the best I could come up with was this thread. I'm trying to figure out exactly what is different in the requirements for the "5 states".

Currently I live in CO. My understanding is I would go to 4 yrs of med school, followed by intern year plus residency. Would this be different if I moved to Florida? Would I have to do 2 yrs of internship or is it just a distincion in what you do during the 1 yr of internship?

Please forgive my ignorance. I have done a search on this topic and the best I could come up with was this thread. I'm trying to figure out exactly what is different in the requirements for the "5 states".

Currently I live in CO. My understanding is I would go to 4 yrs of med school, followed by intern year plus residency. Would this be different if I moved to Florida? Would I have to do 2 yrs of internship or is it just a distincion in what you do during the 1 yr of internship?

There are 3 kinds of residencies if you go to DO school: AOA (a "DO" residency), ACGME (an "MD" residency) and military. I don't know what the twists are for military residencies.

About 60% of DOs do ACGME residencies. But the AOA (at the state level) owns licensing requirements for DOs, so meeting ACGME requirements doesn't necessarily get you licensed.

If you do an AOA residency, the first year is a traditional rotating internship that may or may not include an OMM component. This traditional rotating internship is required in 5 states (PA, OK, MI, FL, WV). The other 45 states are less obsessed with maintaining DO differentiation, and will license you as a DO without it.

If you do an ACGME residency, and you want to practice in one of those 5 states, then you have to figure out how to meet the traditional rotating requirement. Some ACGME residencies are combined AOA/ACGME, and in these residencies the internship is recognized as a traditional rotating. You can always do an AOA traditional rotating internship and then match ACGME, which could potentially run you up against funding limits. And then there's a "rule 42" which is a petition to the AOA to recognize whatever you did in your first ACGME year as being acceptable to the 5 states.

Hopefully this is enough background that the "new internship rules" link will make sense now.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you! That clarifies it quite a bit.