An MCAT Riddle...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MundaneMD

Extraordinarily Average
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey People,

I know the MCAT is rapidly approaching, so I thought I'd give you a last minute verbal strategy/tip. But first, answer this question:

A cat and a dog are argueing. (Yes, they can talk)

The dog says that the cat is lying.
The cat says that the dog is telling the truth.

Who is lying?

A) The dog
B) The cat
C) All of the above
D) None of the above
E) Not enough information

(BTW, I'll post the verbal tip after a few people respond.)

Members don't see this ad.

D) None of the above.

We don't have any information about what they might be lying about, no context. The two sentences taken at face value are both true, so neither is lying.

Hey People,

I know the MCAT is rapidly approaching, so I thought I'd give you a last minute verbal strategy/tip. But first, answer this question:

A cat and a dog are argueing. (Yes, they can talk)

Who is lying?

A) The dog
B) The cat
C) All of the above
D) None of the above

(BTW, I'll post the verbal tip after a few people respond.)

The dog says the cat is lying. The cat says the dog is telling the truth, but if the cat is lying and says that the dog is telling the truth, then that means the dog is really lying. If the dog is lying by saying that the cat is lying, then that would mean the cat is telling the truth, but the cat says that the dog is telling the truth. So it seems to me that both of them must be lying. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. It is a logically inconsistent loop and no part of it could be true. It seems that A, B, C, D are all out of the question.

I feel like there is something I'm not seeing though. Tell us the answer already.

The way the question is worded, we do not know who is ACTUALLY lying. I am going with E.

My answer is all of the above.
So....does the egg comes first or the the chicken come first? Dog and cat are not very trustworthy, in the court of law they can't very well swear to "Tell the truth, anything but the truth, so help 'em God" for cause they can only paw the bible.(dual connotations).

Legal Oath in court: "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"

Not enough information. I would say they are both lying, but the cat clearly said the dog is telling the truth. So we need more info on what they are talking about.

C theyre both lying

if only one of them is lying, the two phrases dont match up together.

however if theyre both lying:

that would mean the cat is actually telling the truth and the dog is actually lying. this matches up with the scenario

Well, here is the verbal strategy/tip I promised:

If you get stuck on a question, SKIP IT! :eek:

Seeing that this is a circular argument, I would skip the question. :p

I would come back to it, and would probably have picked E, if anything.

I made the mistake of getting stuck on the verbal questions, so my verbal score really suffered.

I kept thinking "ok, I'll spend a few more seconds on this question, and move on if I still cant decide."
...a few seconds later...
"err, still can't decide, but i'm sure I can get it"
...a few more seconds later...
"just need a little more time"

Hopefully, you guys won't make that mistake. :thumbup:

Well, here is the verbal strategy/tip I promised:

If you get stuck on a question, SKIP IT! :eek:

Seeing that this is a circular argument, I would skip the question. :p

I would come back to it, and would probably have picked E, if anything.

I made the mistake of getting stuck on the verbal questions, so my verbal score really suffered.

I kept thinking "ok, I'll spend a few more seconds on this question, and move on if I still cant decide."
...a few seconds later...
"err, still can't decide, but i'm sure I can get it"
...a few more seconds later...
"just need a little more time"

Hopefully, you guys won't make that mistake. :thumbup:

LIES! the answer is C!

Who is lying?
Your question is not specific enough. :confused:

Neither are lying in the sense of being deceptive, but the cat must be lying (reclining) for both statements to be true. Also, we don't know if the dog is also lying while arguing with the cat. The fact that they are arguing doesn't imply their argument is over who is being deceptive. They are probably just arguing over politics.

The actual answer to the riddle to clarify for the illogical:

Who is lying?

A) The dog
B) The cat
C) All of the above
D) None of the above

The answer is E. This is why:

A: false
If the dog is lying, the cat is telling the truth.
If cat is telling the truth, the dog is telling the truth. Impossible.

B: false
If the cat is lying, the dog is lying.
If the dog is lying, the cat is telling the truth. Impossible.

C: false
If the dog & cat are lying, it reverses everything, but remains impossible (circular reasoning).
Example: If the dog is lying, it implies the cat is telling the truth. But we know that the cat is lying, thus it is impossible.

D: false
If both the the dog & car are telling the truth, see C.

E: true
There are a few conditions where this could be true. But you have to start making exceptions. E is the "best" answer.