An unusual circumstance.....should I reconsider pharmacy? [Long read]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueled

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay let me describe my situation. It might be a long write up, but I'll do my best to keep it short. I know some people in real life that read these forums, and I want to keep my identity a secret, so excuse me if anything weird comes up.

I'm a 21 year senior who will be graduating from college soon. I am graduating with a BA in Humanities/Social Science. When I was a freshman in college, I wanted to do pharmacy. I even majored in a science. But, I had some bad things going on freshman year and was extremely distracted. I didn't do as well as I should have on chemistry and math. I ended up getting C+'s on both courses. I was so disappointed in my GPA and how hard those classes were at the university I was attending. I felt so unhappy because my GPA was so low and it felt so hard just to even crack a B in chemistry. The university I attended (let's just say it's a top university) was also extremely competitive and I really felt like I didn't belong.

In an attempt to salvage my GPA and college career, I talked with a few people and concluded that maybe pharmacy wasn't for me, even though I had only taken 2 classes. As a result, I changed my major and thought "following my dreams" and studying what I was "passionate about." So I studied my passion. Eventually, I thought about pursuing law school and was on that route. Little did I know, the legal market went on this insane collapse and as of now, it's only worth it (arguably) to go to law school if you go to what's called the T-14, which consists of schools like Berkeley, Duke, Yale, Chicago, Harvard, etc. Getting to those schools are insanely difficult. It's like saying, "Your only shot of medical school is to get into one of those medical schools. Good luck." I attempted anyways and after 8 months of studying for the LSAT, I took the test and didn't do so well. I can try to take the test again (and I probably will) but realistically, I don't know if I can actually score the score I need to get into a T-14 school. You basically need to score in the 95%+, which is insane.

But for now I'm back in square one. I'm graduating soon and have little idea what my future will hold. I have some legal work experience in undergrad and I have a pretty decent GPA (~3.6). I'm going to try to find any job this upcoming year just to make some money. I'm fortunate that I don't have that much undergrad debt (I do have some, but not too much), but I have to admit it's depressing realizing that the only jobs I could find are clerk jobs, or administrative assistant jobs. Eventually I started asking myself, "Man, what if I just stayed a biology major? What if I just continued on? I wouldn't have changed my major if I wasn't doing so bad...maybe I shouldn't have come to this university...maybe I should've gone somewhere less competitive...)

I talked to a friend of mine who was in a similar situation as me. He also graduated from college with a non-related degree and found his job prospects and future to be pretty grim. After he graduated, he decided to go back to community college and just take the pre-reqs for pharmacy. It was a tedious process and it took him around 3 years, but he eventually got it done and applied to a few pharmacy schools. Eventually, one accepted him and he went. That was a few years ago. He graduated now and is a pharmacist. I talked to my friend and my friend said to me, "Well, if this is what you want to do, you can do it. It's going to be a long path and there's no guarantees, but it's possible."

And now I'm actually starting to think about it. Fortunately, I found out something positive. I took a chem and math class back in my freshman year, but it didn't count for the pharmacy pre req. Think of it like this: for pharmacy, you're suppose to take general chemistry, but usually in large universities there are 2 types of general chemistry offered: the chemistry for engineering students, and the chemistry for pre meds. Well I took the one for pre meds, but the one you're suppose to take for pharmacy is the one that the engineers take. Oh joy. I took the wrong chem class anyways. I don't want to give details about the math class, but I'll say for sure it didn't count. Just trust me on it.

So, to wrap it up, I'm in an unusual situation. It's obviously not common, but I know one other person who has done it before. Do you think I should reconsider pharmacy? Do you think going to a community college to take pre reqs is worth a shot? I don't know how well I'll do, but I know for sure I'll try harder than I did when I was a freshman. I would imagine it would be slightly easier at a CC than it was here at my large, competitive, top ranked university, but that's just sorta a guess based on the common and general belief that CC is easier than a top 25 school. I don't know. What do you guys think? Just want some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

You are not in an unusual situation at all. I was in a similar situation where I couldn't figure out if I wanted to go to med, dental or pharmacy, I was even thinking about a phD. I graduated with a science degree and decided to work and gain some experience. It took me 5 yrs to figure out that pharmacy is the right career for me. Once you figure that out, the pre-req and PCAT will be a breeze.

I would say find a job that is pharmacy related. It doens't have to be in retail only, check out the pharmaceutical companies in your area, pharmacy related research etc...

Good luck and follow your passion.

Hello blueled,

The one thing I have to ask you is are you doing what you want to do? Do NOT go into medicine or pharmacy for money. If you want to make money with a professional job then pursue engineering. You already have a pre-req down. Your comments about how difficult math and science courses are concerning. If you find math(I'm assuming you left it unnamed because it was a lower level course) difficult, you may have trouble. General chemistry is all math based. The PCAT has a lot of math as well. Pharmacy requires a semester of calculus as a minimum. You will also have to take physics, organic chemistry, biology, biochemsitry, etc.

I would do two things. A. I would shadow. Do not think that just because you're older that you cannot shadow. I would shadow all the pharmacists I can. It will help build your application anyway. B. Are you sure pharmacy is for you? You did poorly in your science courses and it seems your LSAT score wasn't up to part. The PCAT is a difficult rapid-fire question exam. General chemistry, biology, organic chemistry are all covered.

I would also add that going to a top university is not as relevant for health professionals. Chemistry does not vary with school. A school may be more competitive than another but the subject matter is the same.

You said you followed your passion. If you have a passion you must not leave it. Pharmacy is also becoming saturated in the recent years. Right now you just have to relocate to find a job. In the future it's going to be cut throat. There are so many pharmacy schools opening up in the country. I would consider this as well. You do not want to go through 3 years of undergrad pre-reqs, PCAT and 4 years of pharmacy school with 100-150k in debt to not have a job. Classes at community colleges are also looked down upon by admissions. Many get into pharmacy school with them, but you're less competitive to getting into some of the better schools. Think about it, by that time you may even be established in your current career. If you went to a top school then utilize your resourcres as an alum.

If you like science and medicine you can also consider other careers. For example, physical therapy is becoming very popular. It only requires two years of PT school and the pay is good. It's a rewarding career. Optometry is also a popular pick. We often let "prestige" of being a physician, a dentist, or a pharmacist as opposed to alternatives get in the way of what we actually want to do. We all want financial stability, but this cannot be the sole deciding factor. You will be miserable if you go into something for money. Go see what it's like to be a pharmacist. See if you can shadow your friend. Speak to people here on SDN.

That being said-essentially you have to do more research and mull it over. Find out what you really want to do and don't let money be the deciding factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, physical therapy is becoming very popular. It only requires two years of PT school.

Almost all PT schools in the US have phased out the Master's degree (2 years) to switch to the Doctorate in PT degree (3 years). I think there are only a couple of schools left which still offer the MPT.
The Master's degree is still widely offered in Occupational Therapy though. The OP may want to take a look at it. (I am starting my DPT in August).

Your situation isn't all that unusual. If you were applying to medical school, you'd be what's called a post-bacc student: someone who's going back and doing the undergrad pre-reqs while already holding a bachelors degree. It's not a big deal.

Research the schools in which you're interested, because some do explicitly say they won't take community college credit. Most do accept it, though. Once you know your target schools, you can start coming up with a more specific plan of attack, including a list of exactly what courses you need to complete as an applicant.

Check out the Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements guide linked in my signature.

And now I'm actually starting to think about it. Fortunately, I found out something positive. I took a chem and math class back in my freshman year, but it didn't count for the pharmacy pre req. Think of it like this: for pharmacy, you're suppose to take general chemistry, but usually in large universities there are 2 types of general chemistry offered: the chemistry for engineering students, and the chemistry for pre meds. Well I took the one for pre meds, but the one you're suppose to take for pharmacy is the one that the engineers take. Oh joy. I took the wrong chem class anyways. I don't want to give details about the math class, but I'll say for sure it didn't count. Just trust me on it.

Not so fast. Pre-pharmacy students at your university take a different chemistry course from pre-med? I'm not sure you're 100% right on that. Most schools offer Chemistry (and Biology, etc) for Majors, and a separate course for non-Majors. You want the Majors course, not the blow off course. Of course, check with the pharmacy schools that you're interested in, but this has almost always been the case in my experience.

Your situation isn't all that unusual. If you were applying to medical school, you'd be what's called a post-bacc student: someone who's going back and doing the undergrad pre-reqs while already holding a bachelors degree. It's not a big deal.

Research the schools in which you're interested, because some do explicitly say they won't take community college credit. Most do accept it, though. Once you know your target schools, you can start coming up with a more specific plan of attack, including a list of exactly what courses you need to complete as an applicant.

Check out the Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements guide linked in my signature.

Not so fast. Pre-pharmacy students at your university take a different chemistry course from pre-med? I'm not sure you're 100% right on that. Most schools offer Chemistry (and Biology, etc) for Majors, and a separate course for non-Majors. You want the Majors course, not the blow off course. Of course, check with the pharmacy schools that you're interested in, but this has almost always been the case in my experience.

I don't want to give any my identity or which school I go to, but yes I can confirm that I am correct. I spoke with a friend who recently just got admitted into pharmacy school. He went to the same UG as me and he confirmed it when he applied to schools. We did not take the same chemistry series. I took (for instance) Chem 101A, but he took Chem 202A.

I don't want to give any my identity or which school I go to, but yes I can confirm that I am correct. I spoke with a friend who recently just got admitted into pharmacy school. He went to the same UG as me and he confirmed it when he applied to schools. We did not take the same chemistry series. I took (for instance) Chem 101A, but he took Chem 202A.

Hmm. Without knowing specifics, I would just say this: Make sure with the school that you're in the right course once you go down this track.

Okay...(snip)...I'm a 21 year senior who will be graduating from college soon. I am graduating with a BA in Humanities/Social Science....(snip)... I don't know. What do you guys think? Just want some opinions.

This will not make sense to you, I'm quite sure, but here goes...

Don't graduate.
Do not take your BS/BA/w/e.

Not because it sucks, or it's inferior, or irrelevant to Pharmacy.
Don't take it because once you do, you become ineligible for Education Grants.
(Pell, and such)

That diploma is sexy, but trust me - I know - Things on this side of it are much more expensive.

Don't graduate.
Do not take your BS/BA/w/e.

Not because it sucks, or it's inferior, or irrelevant to Pharmacy.
Don't take it because once you do, you become ineligible for Education Grants.
(Pell, and such)

That diploma is sexy, but trust me - I know - Things on this side of it are much more expensive.

I agree that you should not try to get your degree... officially. I also held off on my degree so I could continue to get the pell grant and such while I finished my prereqs, but if that does not apply to you then you should get your degree! I disagree because I believe a degree is good even if it is not in science. It shows hard work and commitment. And most pharmacy schools like to see a bachelor degree.

I had a friend who "graduated" from a university but continued to take classes and receive grants because the school was "holding" his diploma for him. I really don't know all about it, but you should ask your school if they could do something like that for you.

interesting, i never thought about how applying without a degree affects your financial aid package. if money is an issue, i would agree but i will be graduating with my degree just for the sake of having a degree. you worked hard, you should have something to show for it. also, not saying this will happen but, you never know, you might not like pharm school and decide to drop out. what then?