Anabolic steroid use in medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should probably take a break from posting.

And just FYI, for a super awesome grizzled old timer like you, you should realize the whole "wow you made a comment I didn't like, you must be going through so much hardship" schtick is about as embarrassing and ineffectual as defense mechanisms get. If you're gonna keep posting, at least drop that routine. It's basic Internet 101 stuff.

Thank you for the advice. Maybe what you're saying is basic Internet 101 stuff, but I spend very little time online.

My intent was to argue that developing effective habits is all a healthy person needs to be physically fit regardless of his or her schedule. I provided a few examples of simple habits that work for me. I provided my results. PEDs aren't necessary; they are, however, medically, legally, and ethically suspect.

Suddenly, I'm a narcissist engaging in "military bravado." No one who knows me would characterize me as a narcissist. Maybe I came across poorly, and that's on me, but I was simply trying to offer my opinion. Yes, I got defensive when some people immediately jumped down my throat for doing so. Yes, it seems to me that it's far easier to be cynical, lazy, insecure, and condescending than it is to develop the kind of effective habits I described. Yes, I think it reflects poorly on someone when he or she feels compelled behave in anonymity in such a way that he or she would never behave in person. But I guess that's also basic Internet 101 stuff, isn't it? Which might explain why I spend very little time online.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. Maybe what you're saying is basic Internet 101 stuff, but I spend very little time online.

My intent was to argue that developing effective habits is all a healthy person needs to be physically fit regardless of his or her schedule. I provided a few examples of simple habits that work for me. I provided my results. PEDs aren't necessary; they are, however, medically, legally, and ethically suspect.

Suddenly, I'm a narcissist engaging in "military bravado." No one who knows me would characterize me as a narcissist. Maybe I came across poorly, and that's on me, but I was simply trying to offer my opinion. Yes, I got defensive when some people immediately jumped down my throat for doing so. Yes, it seems to me that it's far easier to be cynical, lazy, insecure, and condescending than it is to develop the kind of effective habits I described. Yes, I think it reflects poorly on someone when he or she feels compelled behave in anonymity in such a way that he or she would never behave in person. But I guess that's also basic Internet 101 stuff, isn't it? Which might explain why I spend very little time online.

Just curious as to your point of view, if they aren't being used for competition, how is steroid use unethical?

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious as to your point of view, if they aren't being used for competition, how is steroid use unethical?

I think there's a clear ethical concern when someone entrusted with drug prescription engages in illicit drug abuse.

EDIT: I'm not making the argument that if you use androgel today, you'll be raiding the Oxy bottles tomorrow (I personally find that "slippery slope" argument unconvincing); I'm simply suggesting that medicine is an arena of tremendous public trust. Avoiding the perception of ethical compromise is almost as important as avoiding it in practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So it's not necessarily using steroids that is unethical, but rather that they're using an illicit drug that's unethical.

That's a fair characterization. There's nothing unethical about using Rx drugs. So long as it's your Rx. lol...

That's true for anyone but especially true for people in positions of implicit public trust such as health care workers, emergency responders, pilots, etc. (I would include military service members in that list but for my fear of engaging in "military bravado.")

That's a fair characterization. There's nothing unethical about using Rx drugs. So long as it's your Rx. lol...

That's true for anyone but especially true for people in positions of implicit public trust such as health care workers, emergency responders, pilots, etc. (I would include military service members in that list but for my fear of engaging in "military bravado.")

Steroid use seems to be pretty prevalent in the military though, especially amongst SF and the like, from what I understand.

Steroid use seems to be pretty prevalent in the military though, especially amongst SF and the like, from what I understand.

Also true. I was issued go pills and no-go pills in combat only to later find out they were amphetamines and Ambien, respectively. We were under the medical supervision of a flight surgeon, however, so I don't think one can equate that with illicit steroid abuse. Ethically, at least. Obviously, medical concerns of chronic amphetamine use such as hypertension are still a concern.

Also true. I was issued go pills and no-go pills in combat only to later find out they were amphetamines and Ambien, respectively. We were under the medical supervision of a flight surgeon, however, so I don't think one can equate that with illicit steroid abuse. Ethically, at least. Obviously, medical concerns of chronic amphetamine use such as hypertension are still a concern.

Germans used amphetamines in WW1 to keep trench sentries awake.

They discontinued it after they realized the men who took it were hungover for 2 days after the guard shift

Status
Not open for further replies.