Anaerobic vs. Aerobic Respiration, Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxld_cu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be correct to assume that prokaryotes can undergo aerobic respiration as well, as long as there is oxygen present? I thought that prokaryotes could use their plasma membrane to serve as a substitute for the inner mitochondrial membrane. Also, the presence of facultative and obligate anaerobes seems to suggest this.

This question seems to automatically assume that since E. coli is a prokaryote, it will be undergo anaerobic respiration. Since the E. coli is reserved in the human gut, I am assuming that there is access to oxygen.

Also, what kinds of organisms are we supposed to remember to classify as eukaryote? I only took note of plants, fungi, animal and I didn't know that a paramecium was a eukaryote

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• KP_BS SectionTest_Paramecium.PNG
    KP_BS SectionTest_Paramecium.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 71
Would it be correct to assume that prokaryotes can undergo aerobic respiration as well, as long as there is oxygen present? I thought that prokaryotes could use their plasma membrane to serve as a substitute for the inner mitochondrial membrane. Also, the presence of facultative and obligate anaerobes seems to suggest this.

This question seems to automatically assume that since E. coli is a prokaryote, it will be undergo anaerobic respiration. Since the E. coli is reserved in the human gut, I am assuming that there is access to oxygen.

Also, what kinds of organisms are we supposed to remember to classify as eukaryote? I only took note of plants, fungi, animal and I didn't know that a paramecium was a eukaryote

Thanks for your help!
The lumen of the gut where E. Coli reside is an oxygen poor environment. This is why E. Coli are facultative anaerobes (use O2 if it is present, but mainly do anaerobic respiration). Anaerobic respiration yields considerably less energy than aerobic respiration (2 ATP vs. approx. 36 ATP). Also, if you're wondering, the cells of the lumen are able to receive sufficient oxygen supply, despite the O2 poor lumen because capillaries providing nutrients and oxygen are located on the basolateral side (in contrast to the apical side, exposed to the lumenal surface where nutrients are absorbed).

Also, their explanation for E. Coli leads to additional confusion because they seem to imply all bacteria are incapable of aerobic respiration because they lack the necessary organelle where TCA takes place (mitochondria). However, as mentioned, some bacteria can produce energy aerobically (some absolutely require it). In eukaryotic cells, the citric acid cycle occurs in the matrix of the mitochondrion. In prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria which lack mitochondria, the TCA reaction sequence is performed in the cytosol with the proton gradient for ATP production being across the cell's surface (plasma membrane) rather than the inner membrane of the mitochondrion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ah! Great explanation - thank you @Czarcasm! Did not make the connection that the lumen of the gut is oxygen-poor, but this makes sense now! Appreciate the help :)