analytical chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosiered

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering.. does a course in analytical chemistry help with pharmacy school? The kind of stuff we learn about are quantitative analysis of acid/base titrations, different tools and probes (like spectrophotometry) Will we need anything of this nature in the pharmacy school courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. From what I've heard, much of the chemistry we've taken up to this point, from general chemistry to organic chemistry, will not be used in the same manner in pharmacy school. Some have told me we will need to have a strong foundation in anatomy and physiology, especially the latter, in order to understand how drugs exert their effects on the body. The chemistry we will probably use is more applicable to the human body and does not involve the tedious calculations of general chemistry thermodynamics. In fact, at Nova, unlike many other schools, there is no actual course taught in medicinal chemistry. I wouldn't mind some organic chemistry though, since I did well in it and loved it.

Hey guys, just wondering.. does a course in analytical chemistry help with pharmacy school? The kind of stuff we learn about are quantitative analysis of acid/base titrations, different tools and probes (like spectrophotometry) Will we need anything of this nature in the pharmacy school courses?

I thought it was helpful, because in my Achem course, we did a lot of acid/base and solubility chemistry. So I did not have to study those areas much in our physical pharmacy course last semester.

I also thought it was helpful to have done the analytical techniques in the laboratories (titrations, HPLC, GC, etc) just because it makes it easier to understand what the professor is talking about when they mention something like HPLC.

But really, I do not think it will be too useful when we get into pharmacotherapy (P2 and P3 years). I can see how it would be pretty useful if you were going on to get a PhD in pharmaceutics or med chem though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure analytical is helpful in pharmacy school.. but I think analytical was a good class. It's a really challenging course at my school, even though it's a lower course number than the organics. It helped me inprove on my study skills, but mostly it taught me some awesome lab techniques. It was required for my chem degree, but I recommend it.