Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anat Question

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by subh, May 1, 2007.

1. subh

Dental Student
    Hi,

Can somebody suggest me correct answer for below question?

Neutral crest give rise to which of the following?
    a) Cells of renal medulla
    b) Cells of adrenal cortex
    c) Preganglionic sympathetic cell bodies
    d) Postoganglionic sympathetic cell bodies
    e) Preganglionic parasympathetic cell bodies

Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned
    Banned

I am not sure, but I found this on google for you

here is the explanation
    Thus the significant finding in this study is that a substantial fraction of the neural crest cells arriving early in the ectoderm are pluripotent cells that are able to give rise to pigment cells, to sympathoadrenal cells, to primary sensory neuron precursors, and possibly to other cells which were not identified here. This observation may have implications for our understanding of the mechanisms that control neural crest cell migration and differentiation.Copyright 1993, 1999 Academic Press
    know wha does sympathoadrenal means:
    here i found another article
    During the past years considerable progress has been made in understanding the generation of cell diversity in the neural crest (NC). Sympathoadrenal (SA) cells constitute a major lineage among NC derivatives; they give rise to sympathetic neurons, neuroendocrine chromaffin cells, and the intermediate small intensely fluorescent (SIF) cells. The classic perception of how this diversification is achieved implies that (i) there is a common progenitor cell for sympathetic neurons and chromaffin cells, (ii) NC cells are instructed to a SA cell fate by signals derived from the wall of the dorsal aorta, especially bone morphogenetic proteins (BMP), and (iii) the local environments of secondary sympathetic ganglia and adrenal gland, respectively, are crucial for inducing differentiation of SA cells into sympathetic neurons and adrenal chromaffin cells. However, recent studies have suggested that the adrenal cortex is dispensable for the acquisition of a chromaffin cell fate. This review summarizes the current understanding of the development of SA cells. It covers the specification of SA cells from multipotent NC crest cells, the role of transcription factors during their development, the classic model of their subsequent diversification as well as alternative views for explaining the generation of endocrine versus neuronal SA derivatives.

Since none of them give rise to any prephery cells, then I figures it is preganglionic
    I hope this helped.

4. vijaggi

in kaplan notes its given neural crest derivative
    adrenal medulla ....so cells of renal medulla is also called adrenal medulla..so acc to me renal medulla is d correct ans ....

5. anusha

anusha New Member

Medical Student
    Agreed to Vijaggi. Among the answers neural crest derivative is adrenal medulla.That is the chromaffin cells.

6. loco81

Dentist
    be careful,, it sounds like a really tricky question ,
    be aware that renal medulla is NOT the same as adrenal medulla ,
    The renal medulla is the innermost part of the kidney , while the adrenal medulla is the central core of the adrenal gland which indeed is located just on top of the Kidney , got it.

I copy paste this derivatives from a med journal on-line

Neural Crest - Head (see also Head Development Notes)

Mesencephalon and caudal Proencephalon

parasympathetic ganglia CN III
    connective tissue around eye and nerve
    head mesenchyme
    pia and arachnoid mater
    dura from mesoderm
    Mesencephalon and Rhombencephalon

pharayngeal arches
    look at practical notes on neck and head.
    cartilage rudiments (nose, face, middle ear)
    face
    dermis, smooth muscle and fat
    odontoblasts of developing teeth
    Rhombencephalon

C cells of thyroid
    cranial nerve ganglia
    neurons and glia
    parasympathetic of VII, IX, X
    sensory ganglia of V, VII, VIII, IX, X
    Neural Crest- Spinal Cord

peripheral nervous system
    dorsal root ganglia (sensory N)
    parasympathetic ganglia
    sympathetic ganglia
    motoneurons in both ganglia
    all associated glia

7. drli

Dental Student
    trunk neural crest lies between the vagal and sacral neural crest and gives rise to two groups of cells. One group migrates dorsolateral and populates the skin, forming pigment cells and the other migrates ventrolateral through the anterior sclerotome to become the epinephrine-producing cells of the adrenal gland and the neurons of the sympathetic nervous system. Some cells remain in the sclerotome to form the dorsal root ganglia Other Migration Locations:
    [/B this is indeed a trick question ....The renal medulla is the innermost part of the kidney....it is different from adrenal medulla

8. asdf84

answer is e.because pre fibre cell body in cns and post fibre in ans.and pre symapathetic cell body in spinal cord ganglion mean in symapathetic chain.so answer is e.mostly.i think its a best choice.plz response to this.its a god question.i hope mine correct.

9. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned
    Banned

10. subh

Dental Student
    thanks for all your responses

i think the answer is d
    a and b are not derived from neural crest
    the autonomic ganglion is derived from neural crest cells
    the postganglionic cell bodies are present in ganglion (pns), so the ans can be d.
    and the preganglionic cell bodies are present in cns , so c and e are not the ans.
    i am not sure, correct me if i am wrong

11. incisorgirl

incisorgirl Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    acc to kaplan notes,neural crest derivatives are(only considering relative to this question )
    -dorsal root ganglia
    -sensory ganglia of cranial nerves
    -autonomic ganglia
    so isn't choice d. going well with it

12. subh

Dental Student
    Immunologic injury that involve activation of complement as an important event in producing damage to tissue is found in which of the following reactions

1 delayed type hypersensitivity
    2 anaphylactic type hypersensitivity
    3 immune-complex mediated hypersensitivity
    4 antibody dependant cell mediated hypersensitivity

i am confused 3 or 4
    please explain

13. incisorgirl

incisorgirl Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    choice 4 is not complement mediated,majorly lypkokines and cytokines are responsible
    so shoice 3......................lemme know if am wrong

14. subh

Dental Student
    but the complement is there in both type 2 and type 3 hypersensitivity reactions
    then why it is type 3 ?

15. asdf84

read ques .ans in it only.tissue injury occur mostly in immune complex.and type 3 is immune complex mediated.injury to tissue due to phagocytic cells eat complex along damage blood vessel or membrane part.ans 3 .final.