Anatomic CPT coding contribution to downward spiral of private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RE-Tired

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading comments on this site for the last 10 years and agree with most commenters that the job market (private practice) has worsened steadily over that time period. Now retired I want to start a thread and entertain comments on how the CPT coding break for reimbursement has contributed to this. I always have worked in practices were we all read everything including the sacrosanct derm. This leads to my perspective and bias. The rise of pod labs where someone labels their-self as a GU pathologist but only reads prostate and similar GI and even derm labs in my opinion has denigrated our profession. What these labs all have in common is that for the most part they only read 88305. We general pathologists read all of the resections including frozen skin margins (including melanoma without having the bx to review). Why is this so? My opinion is that the CPT specific labs arose to make money and not needed expertise as they claim. If it were about expertise then where are the breast, bladder, liver, and lung biopsy labs? Why don' t anatomic site specific labs insist on reading the resections or at leas reviewing them to ensure their quality control?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reading comments on this site for the last 10 years and agree with most commenters that the job market (private practice) has worsened steadily over that time period. Now retired I want to start a thread and entertain comments on how the CPT coding break for reimbursement has contributed to this. I always have worked in practices were we all read everything including the sacrosanct derm. This leads to my perspective and bias. The rise of pod labs where someone labels their-self as a GU pathologist but only reads prostate and similar GI and even derm labs in my opinion has denigrated our profession. What these labs all have in common is that for the most part they only read 88305. We general pathologists read all of the resections including frozen skin margins (including melanoma without having the bx to review). Why is this so? My opinion is that the CPT specific labs arose to make money and not needed expertise as they claim. If it were about expertise then where are the breast, bladder, liver, and lung biopsy labs? Why don' t anatomic site specific labs insist on reading the resections or at leas reviewing them to ensure their quality control?

Well you said it all. The main reasons are money, money and money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, yeah it’s obvious. It’s because of the money. Why do you think derm is one of the most competitive fieldS? You think people really love looking at skin?

Anyone know the status of Pod labs? They are here to stay? I know CAP got that lawyer (Jane Pine Wood) to perform that study showIng that there are more biopsies coming from these labs. Haven’t heard much since.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
More biopsies is a good thing. It equals more jobs.

I noticed Jane Pine Wood went to work for bioreference labs/opko health. I thought that was kind of funny after the articles about them on street sweeper.

Looks like he is doing well despite all that has happened.

He overcame that case and his libel case from years ago.

I also noticed David Bostwick is still around.

Is Tennessee where prostate experts end up?

Anecdotes- I once interviewed for a part-time position. In the interview with one of the GI pathologists in the group was the comment that only the GI pathologists read the colon biopsies. So I asked about colon resections and was told any of the pathologists could sign them out. Another comment:
Got to work with many junior residents (remember we read derms in our practice). Some were terrified of them, sending banal nevi to the dermpath for consultation. Could not blame them, most got little training in skin in residency. I actually have a very high respect for dermatopathologists, I just don't believe every skin biopsy needs to be read by one. A general pathologist can learn with training what needs to be sent for review.