Anatomy and Pathology Fellowship Program @ NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is it to get into this program? Are there not that many students who apply for it since anatomy is difficult and you are required to spend an extra year there?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you referring to an osteopathic manipulation fellowship or the PSF fellowship which is like the first year of a path residency?

From the NYCOM website:
"The Anatomy and Pathology Faculty have established a Fellowship Program in the Anatomical Sciences. Each year Fellows are selected from second-year students who apply to the Departments of Anatomy and Pathology to participate in the program. The applicants are interviewed, and selection of the Fellows is made based upon a student's credentials and qualification. Such credentials include overall academic performance during the first two years of medical school, the demonstration of academic excellence in the anatomical sciences, and the student's enthusiasm and aptitude to teach. The Fellows spend 5 years in medical school (instead of the usual 4 years). During each of the third, fourth and fifth years, the Fellow spends a scheduled portion of the year participating in the teaching of the anatomical sciences and pathology at the medical school. In addition, the Fellow participates in research, surgical anatomy programs, and several educational and mutually beneficial academic opportunities with our faculty at both the medical school and at our affiliated hospitals. The Fellow will actively participate in the selection of the various options (in addition to serving as a teaching Fellow) available to him or her. An additional benefit is a tuition waiver for the student (Fellow) for the third, fourth, and fifth years of the program. Upon successful completion of the Fellowship program, the graduated physician will receive a certificate attesting to the fact that he/she successfully completed the Fellowship Program in Anatomical Sciences and pathology at the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine."

yo,

i'm a nycom first year. From what i've heard from the 3rd years, this is really competitive. Unlike OMM fellows which is relatively easy to get. The anatomy fellowship (2 spots I believe) is competitive let alone the combined anatomy/path fellowship (1 spot i believe).

If you are a super duper type A, I am sure you have a shot. Otherwise pay your tuition and get the f*ck out of there in 4 years!