Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anatomy and Physiology Prereqs??

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by islandboy401, Apr 17, 2008.

1. islandboy401

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Generally speaking, are there any prereqs for anatomy and physiology? If I have taken AP Biology in High School, would I be able to survive this course??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CrazyFox

CrazyFox Ex-Pre-Pharmie
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I don't think there is a prereqs for that stuff. I took anatomy only and from my experience it's as much challenging but as there is a lot to study.All I did is memorization (I got A) I haven't taken physiology yet, so I can't tell you anything.

4. islandboy401

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i'm talking about a specific course: the name of the course is:

Anatomy and Physiology

It's one course, not two separate ones.

5. CrazyFox

CrazyFox Ex-Pre-Pharmie
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Oops, misread. Then, I have no idea.... Still, I think there's going to be a lot to memorize.

6. k0ni

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I took the course Anatomy & Physiology at my university. There were no pre-reqs for it. You might want to check the school you're planning to take it at though, just in case. I also took AP Bio in high school and based on my experience, it didn't help me much. A&P is just a massive amount of memorization.. and way too many little details. AP Bio in comparision was more like a brief overview.

7. DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Anatomy and Physiology is much more interesting and better than general biology because it is all relevant to any health care professional. I did well in general biology, but there was a lot of garbage I personally was not interested in...learning about plants, evolution, ecological systems, and other material that simply didn't intrigue me. As for A&P, I would say this course should not be strictly about memorization. If you memorize it, you will forget it...that simple. Yes, there are things you need to memorize to an extent, such as the names of bones, arteries, etc... but even then, many of these anatomical structures are named after the corresponding body part through which they originate. Do not even bother trying to memorize the physiology component...there is no way around understanding voltage-gated sodium channels and their ability to be open, allow an influx of sodium ions to come in and depolarize, and the subsequent transmission/generation of the action potential. These are CONCEPTS and cannot be memorized. You might memorize the whole process, but if you don't understand it, you're going to fail and it will seem pointless to you. Even the small details are used to give you a clear picture of how everything comes together in the human body.

8. CrazyFox

CrazyFox Ex-Pre-Pharmie
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yeah... this is what I have heard about phys class too...