Anatomy and Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshmerd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I think I already know the answer to my question, but wanted to make sure. My school offers A&P as one class. They also offer Anatomy as a class and Physiology as a class. I have already taken A&P as a freshman (got an A). Would I need to take them individually also? It was a pretty intense course when combined, but was just curious! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My guess would be that you need to take them individually, but none of the schools I'm interested in require them, so I could be wrong. I'm taking them because they're required for my major, but I feel like they'd be at least somewhat helpful, esp. for the OAT.

Hey all. I think I already know the answer to my question, but wanted to make sure. My school offers A&P as one class. They also offer Anatomy as a class and Physiology as a class. I have already taken A&P as a freshman (got an A). Would I need to take them individually also? It was a pretty intense course when combined, but was just curious! Thanks!

Required or not, more anatomy and more physio will help you because you'll see those two subjects again twice in optometry school (in classes and then in boards).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a separate anatomy and separate physiology. They were upper level classes, unlike A&P (since A&P wasn't required for my degree,) and they were sufficient for all the schools I've applied to. Definitely take more of those classes, it can only help. :)

I agree with the previous posters. What you've taken may be enough to do well on the OAT, but the more you have down before starting optometry school, the easier it will be 1st year and when you're studying for Part I.

If you decide to take something else, you will still be okay. I only had anatomy and no phys. I did fine. It was just more work than it was for other people who had seen that stuff before. If you don't take anatomy and physiology, do take something that will make life somehow easier in optometry school (and look good on your application), e.g. histology, neuroanatomy, etc.