Anatomy Atlas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pre.med2016

Hey everyone. I'm taking an anatomy course in my undergrad currently, and I'm in need of a good atlas. What, in your opinion, is the best atlas that I can use now as well as in medical school next fall? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm taking an anatomy course in my undergrad currently, and I'm in need of a good atlas. What, in your opinion, is the best atlas that I can use now as well as in medical school next fall? Thank you in advance!
Rohen or Olinger

Last edited:
Thieme's atlas is the best for illustrations. Rohen's is great for dissection/practicals. For undergrad I would get Thieme's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
people seem to hate Netter's around here, but I personally loved it. I was always led to believe it was the gold standard for med school, until I searched this forum lol. flip through a couple if possible and see what you prefer

Another vote for Thieme's.

Netter's is absolutely beautiful, but in my opinion, it had too many labels per page to be useful and not overwhelming as a first year.

Gray's is handy, just because the images correspond well with the ones in the textbook.

Reactions: 1 user
Im a big supporter of netter's flashcards. One of few resources you could use while having a few study-beers and still reap some benefit from it.

Reactions: 1 users
Rohen's for real pictures, Netter's for illustrations

Netter's Atlas and Essential Anatomy App for your iPad.

If your final exam is a practical, get Rohen's. Netter if it's a written.

Yea, I would say for all intents and purposes, most anatomy books from 2010-2012+ are fine. However, if you remember(or don't haha) that in July it was discovered that the lymphatic system extends into the brain, it is known as the glymphatic system. they found that the vessels carried fluid and immune cells from the cerebrospinal fluid, along veins in the sinuses, and into nearby deep cervical lymph nodes. The researchers surmise that these vessels may serve as a second step in the drainage of fluid from the brain, after it’s drained into the cerebrospinal fluid through the glymphatic system. It is likely that the glymphatic system was not known for so long due to it's relatively hidden location. New anatomical discoveries as major as this are quite rare, but nonetheless must be kept up with. So if you are going to buy a textbook without the newer information, just make sure you are up to date on the new anatomy when articles come to light. Researchers are still working on isolating lymphatic vessels in the meninges, and tracking them etc., to eventually put into gross anatomy textbooks. They think these vessels play into some diseases like MS.

Tried all the big names yet I still always end up back at the Nettter