Anatomy before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have never taken anatomy before and was wondering if I should before school starts this fall? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed in depth numerous times so I would suggest doing a search and peruse some old threads.

IMO, it is not necessary. That being said, seeing the material before obviously helps in any subject in any field. There are people in every class that excel when seeing it their first time.

It's a pain in the behind if you haven't seen it before but it's doable. I had the same issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not this **** again. No.

Reactions: 1 users
NO!

Enjoy what will soon to be one of your last free summers. Anatomy is such a broad and detail-oriented topic, that any 'pre-studying' you do will have minimal benefit, if any at all.

NO!

Enjoy what will soon to be one of your last free summers. Anatomy is such a broad and detail-oriented topic, that any 'pre-studying' you do will have minimal benefit, if any at all.
People say this but I still don't get it.

I say learn your bone features now. Get something out of the way. Anything to lessen the burden later. And enjoy it. if it's going to exhaust you, then nevermind.

If you're considering taking it in your last quarter or semester of undergrad and you'll have some time off after, I'd say do it. You won't be dealing with near the level of material you will in med school, but a basic familiarity and a bit of practice studying the subject should make med school anatomy a smidge less hellish - I wish I'd taken it. If you're talking about taking it over the summer, no. You'll want to start as well rested and eager to learn and so on as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
People say this but I still don't get it.

I say learn your bone features now. Get something out of the way. Anything to lessen the burden later. And enjoy it. if it's going to exhaust you, then nevermind.

Because a) it's a ton of material b) you have no idea what's important and what's not c) you don't understand what the pace is like and your three months will probably cover a week or two worth of material d) you won't remember most of what you tried to memorize

Because a) it's a ton of material b) you have no idea what's important and what's not c) you don't understand what the pace is like and your three months will probably cover a week or two worth of material d) you won't remember most of what you tried to memorize

Exactly my thoughts! The amount of material in anatomy is just daunting on an unfathomable scale. There's really nothing that will prepare you except for perfecting your study skills to as efficient as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
If you like lifting weights, go on right ahead and learn your musculoskeletal system. With that said, just relax and have fun before med school starts. If you find studying fun, then by all means, do it. Don't turn it into a chore.

No. Please enjoy your summer as it might be your last free one for a long time. The only thing you should do in terms of starting early in Anatomy is looking for a reasonably priced Netter's.

........every year. sigh.

Reactions: 1 user
You only need to go through it once

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

Definitely do it. Take the most rigorous A&P you possibly can, which will definitely give you a major advantage in med school. Ideally find a course taught by a physician and ask them if they are teaching it at a level similar of what is taught in med school.