anatomy/physiology study aids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been other threads on these, but I'm looking for additional suggestions, both books and others. What helped? What didn't? Anyone have some nice online references?

I was also considering getting one of those animal skeleton kits, does anyone have them and did they help?

Members don't see this ad.

I borrowed a dog skeleton from the vet I work for. :D Of course, that won't help too much with muscles. I liked Miller's Anatomy of the Dog for muscle study. Handy book to keep for vet school, and the older editions are still fine (after all, not much has changed). Good luck!

More of a study tip than anything, but if you're at all artistic, buying a sketch pad, a set of pencils, a 4 color pen, and a pack of colored pencils was very helpful for me in anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
More of a study tip than anything, but if you're at all artistic, buying a sketch pad, a set of pencils, a 4 color pen, and a pack of colored pencils was very helpful for me in anatomy.

Not at all helpful for the stickfigurely challenged. I think it would be very beneficial to be able to draw the structures and cement them to memory.

For physiology, a very approachable book is:

Lecture Notes on Human Physiology

There's a revised edition out there, but this is the one I read. Lecture Notes on Human Physiology doesn't give you the detail of Guyton and Hall (which is also useful), but for explaining the basic concepts, I found this really helpful.

For anatomy, it helped me to color in the drawings in my Guide to the Dissection of the Dog and in Dyce. Pasquini would make a good coloring book too.

Last edited:
Anyone know of any good color atlases (of the dog, I guess), especially ones that have prosections along with drawings? This question is more aimed at the older vet students who have some experience with first year anat lab. :) I have Miller and Dyce, but I really need an atlas!

Thanks in advance.

I found Done & Goody's "Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy: Volume 3, The Dog And Cat" to be helpful last year.

Anyone know of any good color atlases (of the dog, I guess), especially ones that have prosections along with drawings? This question is more aimed at the older vet students who have some experience with first year anat lab. :) I have Miller and Dyce, but I really need an atlas!

Thanks in advance.

This is actually a book for vet techs, but I highly recommend

Colville "Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for Veterinary Technicians"

It has a lot of diagrams, and there are side-note type boxes w/ clinical applications throughout the book. I especially liked the clinical applications because tying the factual knowledge to a real case scenario really helps me. There are also "test yourself" questions throughout the chapter which I found really helpful, especially because they are spaced out and pertain to the reading immediately preceding them, rather than having 50 questions at the end and spending half of your time just trying to find where in the chapter they talked about a particular concept.

(Just as a note though, I have the 2002 edition. They just came out with a new one in 2007 or 08, but I'm sure it's probably set up pretty similarly.)

I also found out from anatomy that the best way for me to learn the bones/muscles was to actually touch them and say their names as I was doing so. So I would definately try and get my hands on a skeleton or two (I found it helpful that we had full cat and dog skeletons, and even horse and cow bones--actually, there was a whole horse set up in one of the other classrooms in our building that I looked at a couple times.) Of course for muscles, you would have to be dissecting something at the time...

And one more suggestion would be to take some time before each test to make your own study guide. Just skim through chapters and create questions. Don't write down the answers. By doing it that way, you are refreshing your memory as you make the questions, when you answer the questions, and then again if you have to look them up because you are unsure. I sudied for my anatomy lecture final this way, and ended up with a 100% on it!!!

Anyway, sorry for such a long post... hope it helps you out though!

Good luck! :)

We were given a skeleton (or well, half a skeleton) and I found it very helpful to lay the parts out and assemble them correctly, then take a bit of string and hold it from the origin to the insertion. That way you could see the muscle 'flex' and the actions were a lot easier to memorize.

As an added bonus I found the origins and insertions to be easier to memorize as a result simply because I had seen them laid out when I was playing with the actions.