Anatomy? Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school anatomy and physiology are two separate classes. Is it worthwhile to take these classes, in terms of DAT and in the eyes of adcoms, and if so, which class should I take of the two?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know how helpful these classes would be for the DAT but they will be extrememely helpful to you during your first year of dental school. Anatomy in itself is mostly mass memorization. It's much easier to memorize when you only have a few other classes than it is when you have eight. If I could go back and do it over again, I would have taken anatomy with cadaver lab in the spring semester prior to matriculation so it was fresh in my memory banks.

While both classes would be beneficial, I would say to take physiology since its more interesting than anatomy. Even if you take anatomy in undergrad, you'll have to bust your butt even harder in DS to learn everything again since its all memorization. Physiology will be a little better to recall and not as painful to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school anatomy and physiology are two separate classes. Is it worthwhile to take these classes, in terms of DAT and in the eyes of adcoms, and if so, which class should I take of the two?

Thanks

I'd say check with the schools that you're applying to. Some schools (eg. Midwestern) require BOTH of those classes prior to matriculation.

Both will definitely help for dental school. I took both before the DAT. Anatomy didn't really help, but physiology helped a ton. You didn't mention it, but biochem helped a lot too.

they both helped me a lot before the DAT, and they were my fav two classes ive taken in college! we had an optional cadaver lab with anatomy and that is prob what made it so interesting, but i would suggest taking both!

neither of them are easy, but i found them easy jsut in the respect that they are such interesting classes that its almost even fun to study... haha and freshman year i hated science.

Anatomy is memorization, physiology is both memorization but mostly understanding. They are good classes to take before the d-school; for the DAT Homeostasis class-physio of plants and animals 'd be good and maybe enough too. physio is hard but at the end you see it's great to feel that you know stuff.
GL

For the DAT, physio, although a thorough understanding of lower division bio is about 90% of what you need to know.

If you take Anatomy, especially with a cadaver, right before you enter DS, you will have a distinct advantage.

If you really wanna be a gunner take micro too.

You do not need to take any of these to excel in DS, it just helps.

I wish i took physio before my DAT, only because it would have refreshed my memory of intro bio that I took freshman year. But anyway, it didn't matter much-- I doubt it would have lessened the amount of studying I had to do...

Sorta along the lines of what the OP is asking: Is it alright if I won't take micro (which is a prereq for many dental schools) until my senior year? So basically this will be the only prereq that I won't have done before applying.

to the OP, anatomy and physiology were separate classes for me too. I would recommend taking both classes esp if the physio class is a systems class (I was asked about that specifically during an interview). Take physio before the DAT and then take anatomy your last semester of undergrad, or as close to matriculation as possible... thats what i am doing :thumbup:

yuppers: i am taking mirco right now and it wasn't an issue with any of the adcoms