Anatomy questions: Can anyone pls answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've an anatomy exam tomorrow and was reviewing some old questions, unfortunately I dont have the answer key to a few of them, and wanted to know if anyone can verify my answers.

1) A 35 y/o female officer was concerned about the rough appearance of the skin around the areola of her left breast. Over recent months the skin had developed an appearance remarkably similar to the skin of an orange. The skin of the contralateral breast was smooth in comparison. The most likely diagnosis in this case is:

a. blockage of the superficial lymphatic vessels and resulting edema of the skin from cancer.
b. the suspensory ligaments of Cooper drawing the skin downward in the area of the lesion of the mammary gland tissue.
c. obviously a congenital defect(embryonic) of no concern.
d. benign fibrocystic disease, with blockage of several lactiferous ducts and fluid collection.

I chose a

2) Which of the following nerve fibers would be injured if the greater splanchnic nerves were severed?

a. General visceral afferents (GVA) and postganglionic sympathetic fibers.
b. General somatic afferents (GSA) and preganglionic sympathetic fibers.
c. GSA and GVA fibers.
d. GVA and preganglionic sympathetic fibers.
e. GSA and postganglionic sympathetic fibers.

I put d.

3)Damage to the dorsal roots of the cervical and 1st 2 thoracic spinal nerves would
a. result in loss of sensation from the neck and upper limb.
b. interfere with the ability to contract skeletal muscles of the neck and upper limb.
c. interfere with the ability to contrat skeletal muscles of the upper back.
d. result in the loss of efferent innervation to sweat glands and blood vessels of the neck and upper limb.
e. result in loss of sensation from the ab region.

I put c

4) A white ramus communicans that extends between the spinal nerve and a sympathetic trunk ganglion contains all of the following EXCEPT

a. axons of preganglionic visceral efferent neurons.
b. axons of neurons that conduct general visceral afferent impulses.
c. axons of postganglionic sympathetic VENS innervating the piloerector smooth muscle of the skin.
d. myelinated fibers.

I put c

5) A patient is sceduled for an emergency appendectomy. In theoperating room, the patient is draped and the surgeon indicates the location and extent of the anticipated incision. Identify the correct order the layers of the anterior ab wall would be incised (NOTE- not all layers are listed)

1. superficial layer of the superficial fascia (Camper's fascia)
2. transversalis fascia.
3. deep layer of the superficial fascia( Scarpa's fascia)
4. parietal peritoneum
5. deep fascia of anterolateral wall skeletal muscles

a. 1,2,3,4,5
b. 1,3,2,5,4
c. 1,3,5,2,4
d. 5,1,3,2,4
e. 5,4,3,2,1

I narrowed it down to b and c, and selected b

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED HELP!!

Members don't see this ad.

lotanna said:
1) A 35 y/o female officer was concerned about the rough appearance of the skin around the areola of her left breast. Over recent months the skin had developed an appearance remarkably similar to the skin of an orange. The skin of the contralateral breast was smooth in comparison. The most likely diagnosis in this case is:

a. blockage of the superficial lymphatic vessels and resulting edema of the skin from cancer.
b. the suspensory ligaments of Cooper drawing the skin downward in the area of the lesion of the mammary gland tissue.
c. obviously a congenital defect(embryonic) of no concern.
d. benign fibrocystic disease, with blockage of several lactiferous ducts and fluid collection.

I chose a

"Dimpling" of the skin around the areola is a "halmark" sign of breast cancer.

PS-You'd be suprised how much a premed cancer researcher knows about things like this! ;)

The only one I know for sure you got wrong is 3. Dorsal roots contain only afferent neurons. Given the region of the injury, the answer would be (a).

Members don't see this ad :)
pathdr2b said:
"Dimpling" of the skin around the areola is a "halmark" sign of breast cancer.

PS-You'd be suprised how much a premed cancer researcher knows about things like this! ;)

hey lady! I was very certain that one is right, escepially with the way they compared to an orange skin, and the whole dimpling thing. How is everything going withthe PhD program!! :thumbup:

question 1 is definitely A - its a sign of cancer and i believe the exact wording to describe that is peau d' orange.

Bones2008 said:
The only one I know for sure you got wrong is 3. Dorsal roots contain only afferent neurons. Given the region of the injury, the answer would be (a).

Thanks!!! looking at my answer, I dunno why I put that down, I better go read up on that section.

Thanks also @ 4 ever!

lotanna said:
hey lady! I was very certain that one is right, escepially with the way they compared to an orange skin, and the whole dimpling thing. How is everything going withthe PhD program!! :thumbup:

Actually, I don't start classes until the second quarter (November) due to some "personal health issues" I have to address. In the menatime, I'm preparing to submit an abstract next week, so I'm VERY busy!

Looks like your adjusting quite well to med school though! Keep up the good work!!! :thumbup:

I'm fairly certain 2 and 4 are right, but I can't help you with 5.

Explanation if anyone needs one:

2-GVA because splanchnic nerves deal with viscera. Preganglionic sympathetic fibers, b/c they shoot straight through the sympathetic ganglion without synapsing.

4-white rami won't ever contain postganglionic sympathetic ganglion

I think it's funny how everyone has responded mainly to question #1. Shows how useful all that other anatomy information has been, huh

thanks so much people! With no prior background in anatomy, its all like foreign language to me, hanging in there, so far so good.

Lotanna,
Good luck with classes. I have to admit my ignorance on all but the easy 1st ?. I have forgot all that stuff. That is stuff that I didn't even reactivate for the boards except for the 1st and last ? Sorry I can't be of more help. Bon courage, mon amie!

Number 3 is definitely wrong. Dorsal ROOTS were damaged, not dorsal RAMI. The answer to that is a). I think number 2 is a), because as far as I know, great splanchnic nerve contains postganglionic fibers, which is why it doesn't synapse at the sympathetic ganglion. Remember, sympathetic system has short preganglionic fibers and long postganglionic, while parasympathetic is the other way.

Great splanchnic has pre-ganglionic fibres. They don't synapse till they get to the Celiac ganglia

Answer for 5 looks like c. Parietal peritoneum comes after the transversalis fascia. And c looks like its in the right order.

omarsaleh66 said:
Answer for 5 looks like c. Parietal peritoneum comes after the transversalis fascia. And c looks like its in the right order.

thanks! I wasnt sure exactly between both b and c, cause i couldnt quite remember where transversalis fascia fits in, aaah so much more to review :( oh well better now than 2morrw :)

@daktar thats what i remember, greater thoracic splanchnic nerves carry presynaptic symp VENS, thoracic is the exception cause i know cardiopulmonary splanchnic nerves is post-synaptic

@DrDre, thanks its good to hear that cause like my doctor cousin says, the human body never changes so dont sweat it or stress about the class, u can always review it much later in the future.

on question #1 - directly from baby moore -

"Prominent pores may develop that give the skin an orange peel appearance (peau d'orange sign) because of edema (excess fluid in subcutaneous tissue) resulting from the blocked lymphatic drainage.

I donno...3 sounds right to me. I remember vaguely that some of the back mm. were exceptions to that rule...but i didn't do too hot in antomy, so take everything I say regarding antomy with a grain of salt. :D

Where do you get these questions from?

Regarding question 3 - The dorsal roots are sensory and the ventral are motor in function. Given that, I would think A would be the answer for 3

azzarah said:
I donno...3 sounds right to me. I remember vaguely that some of the back mm. were exceptions to that rule...but i didn't do too hot in antomy, so take everything I say regarding antomy with a grain of salt. :D

i think what you're thinking about is the primary dorsal *rami*, that innervate the strip of deep back muscles...those primary rami consist of afferent + efferent nerves (afferent giving the cutaneous sensation to the back, efferent providing the motor fcn for JUST the deep back muscles). the traps, lats, etc. are not true back muscles, so won't be innervated by dorsal rami. also, when we're talking only about roots, you only have afferent neruons, so the answer must be a) given where the affected roots are (cervical, 1st thoracic).

spumoni620 said:
i think what you're thinking about is the primary dorsal *rami*, that innervate the strip of deep back muscles...those primary rami consist of afferent + efferent nerves (afferent giving the cutaneous sensation to the back, efferent providing the motor fcn for JUST the deep back muscles). the traps, lats, etc. are not true back muscles, so won't be innervated by dorsal rami. also, when we're talking only about roots, you only have afferent neruons, so the answer must be a) given where the affected roots are (cervical, 1st thoracic).

:thumbup: