Anatomy Textbook ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Students-Richard-Drake/dp/0443066124

This book was given to me as a gift and was wanting to get some feedback from current medical student if they knew or heard of this and if it is a quality textbook for Anatomy. Thanks. :cool:

Quality textbook. Most of the text info is summarized in tables. Illustrations are very good (transparent parts to show multiple layers- very helpful). Excellent for use as reference and not a primary resource, except for the tables, or when other sources aren't clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard of it? It was our required text. :) I guess it was OK. My preference was Moore and Daley's Clinically Oriented anatomy.

You can't go wrong if it was a gift.

The Clinically oriented anatomy book was another gift as well. LOL nerd alert huh???:thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Students-Richard-Drake/dp/0443066124

This book was given to me as a gift and was wanting to get some feedback from current medical student if they knew or heard of this and if it is a quality textbook for Anatomy. Thanks. :cool:

I'm a first year at DMU taking anatomy right now. I do have to say that the Netters Anatomy Atlas doesn't quite represent what you see in the lab. Arteries aren't bright red and veins aren't bright blue. I have found that the Color Atlast of Anatomy is a great book because the images are of actual cadavers with all sorts of cross-sections, dissections, etc. I find it more useful then the Netters. But having both wouldn't hurt, if you have the cash to spend. The "dead book" as it is called here, is by Rohen, Yokochi, Lutjen-Drecoll. Check it out.

That Gray's textbook is out required text also. And we also use the Netter and Rohen texts as references.

I can't compare the Gray's to any other anatomy textbook but it is a decent book. The Netter and Rohen books are atlases and usefully for finding structures and for understanding relationships, the Gray's actually goes through and explains the anatomy in text, along with tables, images, etc... You'll probably mostly rely on your lecture notes/powerpoints and then do some reading in Gray's throughout to understand a structure or to look at something in more detail than the lecture went into.

The only thing I don't like about the book is at times it seems to skip around a bit, so if you're reading a chapter straight through it'll touch on certain aspects on that part of the body, move on, and then 30 pages later it goes back to that part of the body and hits on another aspect of it. I know it's unavoidable with the amount of material that we cover, but it's just annoying. Also, it's nice to have a separate anatomy atlas because for the most part the images in Gray's are labeled only for what that specific is talking about and will leave out a lot of the surrounding anatomy. Which is helpful when first learning it, and then go to an image or other atlas to see what it "actually" looks like. There are a few errors in the book but all textbooks will have those and your professor will probably point out those.

I have found, especially for the way our profs write our written test questions that the Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore is a great reference.

I would have to also echo the praises of Rohen's Color Atlas, the Netters is alright, but Rohen's is a great tool for home study.

i'd recommend the thieme atlas (there are 3 of them) over the netter's atlas. the thieme has great images (just as good or better than netter's) with explanation/text to go with the images. besides that, i use essential clinical anatomy.

I do have to say that the Netters Anatomy Atlas doesn't quite represent what you see in the lab. Arteries aren't bright red and veins aren't bright blue. I have found that the Color Atlast of Anatomy is a great book because the images are of actual cadavers with all sorts of cross-sections, dissections, etc. I find it more useful then the Netters. But having both wouldn't hurt, if you have the cash to spend. The "dead book" as it is called here, is by Rohen, Yokochi, Lutjen-Drecoll. Check it out.

Rohen & Yokochi are the "real" anatomy, while Netter is the "ideal" anatomy. Both are very useful.

Keep the book, but also pick up a copy of BRS Anatomy.

I'm sure everyone has their own preference, but I would say that Anatomy is the subject for which a full length textbook is least useful...most of the material is conceptually simple, the challenge is just memorizing such a large volume. BRS is too detailed for boards, but perfect for course exams. Add a good atlas and plenty of repetition and you should be set.

the are 2 moore books big moore and baby, most students prefer baby moore over big, although i have big, i sold my baby for a price i could not resist:):):):):):D:D:D:D needed the cash,, but man y students find big moore to large with way to much material

Everyone is going to have their preferences.

Netter is the only one I use.

Rohen is OK...but if you like the lab anyways, the best learning tool is the body right in front of you...it trumps any book. If you dont like the lab(which a lot dont), then Rohen isnt too shabby.

To throw in my two cents, I think that the Thieme atlas's are absolutely beautiful. In my opinion they are the superior anatomy texts. Netter is ok, but a bit cartoony for me. I usually go through Thieme first with my notes and then through Rohen for structures that might help me out a bit on the practical. Im not a huge fan of Moore and Daley. Not sure why, I just dont like it as much.

I think that a mixture of netters and Thieme works well. In addition, The Anatomy Coloring Book (http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Color...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200780797&sr=8-1)
is a great way to reinforce and review what was learned. Not to mention Netters Flash Room. Also, the website http://www.winkingskull.com is the website for the Thieme book. If you go to http://www.anatomylab.com you can not only look at real pictures, but there is a section where they give you a practical exam.

I also look at this website before and after a dissection.

http://www.lawrencegaltman.com/Naugbio/CADAVER/GALLERY.htm

Almost everyone in my class watches it and love it.