Anatomy textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering, what is the most prominent anatomy textbook used around the country? Is it Netter, or Gray's? Is there any other? I would assume that most schools would use the same book if one were better than the others.

Members don't see this ad.

Netter's is quite comprehensive...very detailed. I find it kind of difficult to maneuver through but that's just me.

Rohen's Color Atlas of human anatomy presents the most beautiful of dissections. Not only that but it's really not that expensive. I bought a new 4th edition text for $30 on half.com. It should contain anything you would ever need to know (in terms of structures) for a medical school anatomy lecture/lab. I would definitely recommend this book over Netter (not a big fan of cartoonish look to figures either)....as to the others, I cannot compare (never used them). I can't imagine anything much better though.

If you want to really rock anatomy, or are very interested in it, then you should own both a netters and a rohen's. I found rohen to be a great adjunct to cadaver lab (fly through important structures a couple of days before practicals). Netter will provide you with the ground work to conceptualize writtent text into 3D structure, although somewhat exaggerated. Grant's is a bad ass as it really shows the much needed crucial anatomical relationships which are sorely lacking from netter (its hard to decipher what is truely important when confronted with many netter plates). I couldn't find the Azygous venous plexus shown well anywhere in netter, grant's had 2 pages on that sucker.

Of course all of these texts aren't worth much without the M&D text. I don't care how many times you blacked out secondary to ETOH intoxication.....that book will make you an excelent anatomist.

EDIT: M&D = Moore and Dailey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moore for reading
Netter for detailed pictures
Rohen for studying for gross lab
Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple for figuring out the previosu 3 books

and BRS Anatomy for practice questions.

JPHazelton
Moore for readingNetter for detailed pictures
Rohen for studying for gross lab
Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple for figuring out the previous 3 books
Good advice. If you get the opportunity try to compare Netter vs. Clemente. Each page of Clemente has a summary paragraph at the bottom which will probably come in handy later on as a quick refresher (such as surgery rotations). During gross however it'll probably just be extra reading which you won't have time to get to.

Don't listen to Green912, he knows NOTHING!!!! :p

And aren't we LECOM 2007 .5 ???? Just a thought!!

nope, 1.5. you gotta use the newer math. I think that freezing rain yesterday got to your brain.