Anatomy Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chebanse

CSU C/O 2016!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched old threads and found some information on this topic, but the info is rather spread out and not quite what I am looking for. My question is- What are people's favorite anatomy books to study from?

CSU requires Dyce, but I have heard a lot of negative things about Dyce including poor diagrams, difficult to use as a quick reference, dry, dry, and well... dry...zzzzzz.

How is Miller? I have heard that it is also a good cure for insomnia, but do people find it to be better organized? I have heard that Pasquini is a good quick reference with nice pictures, but not a complete reference.

So anyway, opinions on the best anatomy textbooks and quick references to get through first year anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

to get through first year anatomy: scalpel blades and vodka.

for real answer: i liked pasquini a lot, but i honestly was not going to sit and read any anatomy textbook because snoozetown..

Pasquini, without a doubt.

Dyce has way too many words, I don't need words for anatomy, I need pictures.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno, maybe this is school specific, but I never needed it.

There is always going to be some nerd in lab who is like, "GUYS, I READ DYCE FOR LIKE 10 HOURS LAST NIGHT AND I AM 100% SURE THAT RIGHT THERE IS THE SUBTENDINOUS BURSA OF THE INFRASPINATUS MUSCLE."

And you'll be like, "Cool, thanks bro."

If you wanna be that nerd, by all means, nerd the hell out. But our professors provide a lot of diagrams/help/resources that I found I could absorb most of the information without ever purchasing or using a textbook.

Even dissection of the dog, honestly... but it was kind of nice to have that sometimes when I needed something to stare at so I wouldn't murder a groupmate.

people have favorite anatomy books?? what's wrong with them?!

i feel like our anatomy class is taught differently since we actually have Pasquini teaching it, but his books and the dyce are what we use here. they're pretty good for reference. however, at least for anatomy 2, the notes we have (and then review sessions/office hours) are sufficient. you could definitely get by without a book. in anatomy 1, we used the pasquini dissection guide and then pasquini's other materials exclusively.

you should see if you can ask some upper year vet students at the school you'll be attending what they do/do not like

For first semester anatomy, Miller's Guide to the Dissection of the Dog was fine. For comparative anatomy I would say Pasquini hands down. So much better than Dyce.

For the record, I am not that overachiever who knows what everything is right away. I had (have) to study study study.

Our required book is Evans/deLahunta Guide to the Dissection of the Dog ("Little Miller"), which was pretty decent, I thought. For studying, I liked the Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy. I'd study on the cadaver until I got a decent feel for everything, then right before tests, when everyone was stressed out/crazy in the lab, I was happily studying the photos in the Atlas to nail everything down. It's a pricey book, but I found a copy of the old edition for cheaper and am pretty happy with it.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely work the best with hands on experience, but I am also a big fan of having a good text to reference. I won't be the nerd that reads Dyce for 10 hours which is why I guess I was looking for a little bit "better" alternative. I'll definitely look into picking up Pasquini. I'll also look up the Atlas :)

Edit: I'm an artist and LOVE good pictures and diagrams!

If you're a good artist, a lot of people recommended drawing out the structures yourself to really solidify them as a way to study for anatomy. :)

If you're a good artist, a lot of people recommended drawing out the structures yourself to really solidify them as a way to study for anatomy. :)

A lot of my classmates did this, they said it really helped them.

FWIW, I also love Pasquini. And so very cool that he is your prof JMO!

to get through first year anatomy: scalpel blades and vodka.

for real answer: i liked pasquini a lot, but i honestly was not going to sit and read any anatomy textbook because snoozetown..

I better stock up now on the liquor.

Is there any difference among editions? It's $50 for a 1989 version of Pasquini, and $150 for a 2003 version. I *assume* anatomy doesn't change much, but is that incorrect? I would hate to learn the wrong terms.

For csu textbooks are really only necessary for the comparative part (if that). With the vca and dr fails' notes and guide to dissection of the dog you're covered. Before you go out and buy a book, check it out at the library. As a grad student you can borrow it for 6 mos! And the cubes all have a library of an assortment of texts and I'm pretty sure pasquini's in there. I don't know anyone who ever bothered to look at it except maybe once or twice in the semester when something came upand the prof was like, you can find this info in pasquini's. And drawing out the large animal stuff's rough because we dont really dissect them like everyone else. The profs do like 1 hanging animal of those spp and the specimen's so petrified you have no idea what's what.

Thanks Minnerbelle, that's good to know. Have you found yourself wanting to refer back to any anatomy references for other classes during second year where it may be useful to have a book on hand?

A lil disclaimer though... I'm also a textbook learner and opt for those instead of lecture. I got the elsevier electronic version of Dyce and I'm really happy I did that. It helps me out a lot when I run across something during second year classes when some really specific anatomical reference is made, and I can just do a search real quick. Sometimes with vet stuff you have to do a lot of wading around with google to find what you're looking for and anatomy/radiology tends to be one of those things that's actually quicker to open up elsevier and search on vet consult

They aren't textbooks, but I really like CSU's virtual anatomy of the dog and the glass horse. Also I think the link is in another thread but cornell's website has pictures that follows Rooney's guide to the dissection of the horse that I found really helpful. I'm weird but I learn so much better studying well identified pictures rather than dissection and reading took to long

Before you spend a bunch of money, see what your school has available. Penn (SnowyRox!) has a "locker box" of books that is available to your lab group that includes about 5 books you can use in lab... Big Miller is in there plus various illustrated books that I obviously never looked at since I don't know their names.

You will also be slammed with new second years selling you books for cheap.

I loved Pasquini for diagrams and short descriptions.That book just 'made sense'. I actually liked Dyce a lot for the same reasons as Minnerbelle. It actually describes, in detail, the anatomy. But, yes, I'm an anatomy geek like that. Loved it and am so looking forward to doing the human version now :D

someone asked about an older version of the pasquini book. not sure how much the anatomy has changed, but having pasquini books myself, i DEFINITELY would spend the extra money for a new edition. this is because his books are riddled with typos (newer edition=far fewer) that get annoying really fast and when he revises a book, he really goes the extra step to improve it quite a bit. for instance, he is working on a new lab manual that will be light years different (and better) than the one he currently has out.