Anatomy Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arebart

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I was accepted to Texas A&M :soexcited: and recently discovered that they offer an Anatomy Workshop over the summer for accepted vet students. Having taken ZERO anatomy classes during my undergraduate career, my hunch is that I would be silly NOT to take advantage of this opportunity. My quandary is that I wasn't (mentally or physically) planning on moving to Texas until school starts. Has anyone heard of any online veterinary anatomy courses that helped in their preparation for VM1? (I searched coursera and couldn't find any multi-species and veterinary-specific). Or, if there are any students who HAVE chosen to attend (or even not attend) a similar prep course, I would love to hear your feedback. I am worried about shooting myself in the foot by not enrolling in the course, but at the same time, I really want to just be a potato/travel/have fun/spend time with friends + family during the summer leading up to vet school. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I never took an anatomy course before vet school and, while it was intense, I don't think any sort of prep course would have really helped. I vote potato.

Reactions: 6 users
The Colorado State's canine anatomy modules are beyond excellent (Virtual Animal Anatomy). It'll help you a lot in vet school as well. I would get it, maybe poke around in it if you feel like it, but mostly potato. I also had zero anatomy experience before vet school and turned out fine.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My potato senses were tingling.

I wouldn’t worry about it, honestly.

Will it hurt you? No. Could it be helpful? Probably on some level. But, you would also likely be completely fine without it.

Don’t stress about it and enjoy what time you have left before the crazy of first year starts.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there is usually discussion about this in the TAMU-specific threads. I found this from TAMU c/o 2020 page...they talk about it on pages 4-6 off an on. If you search you might be able to find other discussions about the course in those old threads too. Texas A&M c/o 2020 Applicants

Reactions: 1 users
My school didn't offer anything like that, and I did take a couple anatomy classes in undergrad, but if I were you I wouldn't do it. My thoughts are that if your school felt you NEEDED some background knowledge in anatomy in order to succeed in vet school, they would make anatomy a prerequisite. I always recommend relaxing the summer before vet school rather than trying to study especially on your own, it's likely you'll study the wrong information, or your anatomy course will breeze through the things you learned within the first 1-2 weeks. But once you start classes, I second the CSU virtual anatomy recommended above. VIN also has some 3D anatomy resources, I didn't use it personally but I've heard it's good. You can create a free VIN account once you have your student email.

Reactions: 1 users
I had zero anatomy experience before vet school. It started out kind of intense and I was jealous of the people who clearly had taken anatomy.

That said, I've passed every lab practical and have done well on the written anatomy questions in lecture exams (we have an integrated curriculum so our tests are a grab bag of all subjects).

The first lab practical was particularly rough: I felt like I had no idea what I was doing and my grade was barely passing. BUT my grades have gotten consistently better with each one as I've figured out the best study techniques for me.

I'm fairly sure I was in the bottom quarter percentile on that first test, but for our most recent one I think I was probably a little above the class average. (We don't get the class averages so I don't know for sure).

For my most recent lab practical I basically only made dumb, small mistakes and felt like I had a good grasp on everything. I feel like I definitely could have knocked it out of the park if I'd chosen to spend some some of my free time doing extra practice, but I value spending time with my spouse and dogs way more than I value getting an A.

Hopefully knowing my experience is helpful to you. If that class is something you WANT to do and will make you happy, by all means go take it (some of my group members reeeeally love anatomy and I could totally see them loving it). But if not, potato guilt free.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate your perspectives. Looks like I'm gonna be a potato this summer.

Looks like I'm gonna be a potato this summer.
Yaaaaasssssss good choice good choice (fellow potato)
Go out and do some fun things because it’s one of your last summers of freedom before becoming a real adult with a big kid job year round. By all means, continue working if you want to and want to save up some money, but definitely take time for fun.

Oooooo boy.... I literally just paid for a spot in anatomy bootcamp a couple nights ago I'm starting at Tennessee in the fall and they offer it as well. I didn't take any anatomy during undergrad (although I'm in mammalian *physiology* right now) and I panicked. Everyone talks about how hard anatomy is, and I'm one of those "have to work really hard to make mediocre-ish grades" people so I thought I needed the bootcamp. Was that a poor decision? It's two weeks long--all day every day.

Oooooo boy.... I literally just paid for a spot in anatomy bootcamp a couple nights ago I'm starting at Tennessee in the fall and they offer it as well. I didn't take any anatomy during undergrad (although I'm in mammalian *physiology* right now) and I panicked. Everyone talks about how hard anatomy is, and I'm one of those "have to work really hard to make mediocre-ish grades" people so I thought I needed the bootcamp. Was that a poor decision? It's two weeks long--all day every day.

When is it?

It's only two weeks! You can potato the rest of the summer. :)

It certainly won't hurt you any to do it (other than sacrificing some of your potential free time) and may save you some stress during the year, especially if you are prone to panicking ;)

It is the last week of July through the first week of August. It ends right before orientation starts I believe.
I signed up too!! I’d rather panic now and overprepare versus realize I’m way underprepared and panic during the semester (which I’m going to do anyways, but whatever).

Reactions: 2 users
I signed up too!! I’d rather panic now and overprepare versus realize I’m way underprepared and panic during the semester (which I’m going to do anyways, but whatever).

SAME I'm a chronic over-preparer

Hi! I wanted to bump this in case students who participated in an anatomy workshop could offer thoughts on its usefulness.

I'm considering Auburn's workshop because I did not take anatomy in undergrad. It's July 7-29, and orientation is August 1.

However, it's $835 and I'd have to move into my new apartment on one of the days.

Thank you :)

I'm considering Auburn's workshop because I did not take anatomy in undergrad.

I didn't take anatomy before vet school. I basically had "I can't even spell humerus, let alone tell you where it should be" lack of knowledge. It's a lot of information and it comes at you fast, but it's doable and not worth the extra time or money to take a workshop (in my opinion).

If you are really worried and want to prepare, VIN has 3D anatomy modules that are great (and free for students). They cover bones to vasculature and everything in between. It's also online so you can do it whenever and wherever you want. I'd recommend reaching out to some current Auburn students and see what they learned first and then just kind of go from there. (E.g. WSU starts with thoracic limb osteology, then thoracic limb muscles and attachments, then pelvic limb structures, etc.)

Reactions: 4 users