Anatomy vs. Physiology: What to take 1st?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaolinRX

All you have is contrast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for those of you that have been there already...

Which should you take 1st: Anatomy or Physiology?

Most schools that offer the 2 courses separately recommend that you brave through Anatomy before you take Physiology, but it seems to me, from what I've heard, that Physiology is a better class to begin with before Anatomy because Anatomy has the highest turn-over of ANY Pre-Med/Pharmacy class out there (some abserd number....like 60-70% retake it)...So why take it first? If you could do it over again, how would you do it? Would you take Physiology before Anatomy, or Anatomy 1st?

If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Will be applying to USN next week (has a 4.0 and would love to hear any other recommendations you might throw my way, thanks!!!).

Members don't see this ad.

I took anatomy first. Anatomy is more straight forward, just pure memorization (in fact, a lot of it). Physiology focuses more on chemical process in different parts of the body. I definitely think physiology is harder than anatomy because it requires much more ctitical thinking and more chemistry background (well, at least at my school). The only reason that I think many people might not be passing anatomy is because of intense memorization that the class requires. But if you are hard-working and willing to put a lot of time into that class, I would definitely suggest taking anatomy first and then physiology.

it is reccomended that you take anatomy before physiology, even though I took physiology before anatomy. Personally, I think physiology is easier. I am the person who understands the process better than memorizing the small details. Even though I took physiology before anatomy, I still scored an A in physiology and ended up with a B in anatomy. Yes lots of people do retake anatomy and that's why I believe it is the harder class.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school the courses are combined. We would begin by learning the body part then we would learn the physiology behind it. If the classes are taught separate I would recommend Anatomy first because it lays the foundation for the Physiology of the body. Better to be familiar with each body part and then learn the functions and disfunction that occur with it instead of the opposite.

I personally think that anatomy is harder than physiology, but that's because I like figuring things out more than I like straightforward memorization.

At my school the courses are combined. We would begin by learning the body part then we would learn the physiology behind it. If the classes are taught separate I would recommend Anatomy first because it lays the foundation for the Physiology of the body. Better to be familiar with each body part and then learn the functions and disfunction that occur with it instead of the opposite.

I agree. I'm taking an anatomy/physiology combined course, and it is much better when we learn the anatomy first. If you were to learn the physiology behind it first, you may be hearing names of all of these parts and not know what or where they are, so you would have to learn all those names in addition to the actual physio stuff. Learn the anatomy, get down the names and parts, and then learn what they do and how they work within the body. Good luck! :luck:

I took a combined course, but we would first go over anatomy and then the physiology of a system.

I'm also in a combined anatomy/physiology class. The physiology part is performed in the lecture, anatomy in lab. I'm doing so much better in lecture (physiology) than in the lab (anatomy). Neither is too difficult, but the difference between the two is that in order to learn physiology, you must understand the steps to mechanisms and ask questions. Anatomy is just pure memorization.

I enjoy the physiology part because it is a lot more in depth. Although I can locate major bones,muscles,etc, I cant seem to remember ALL of them for the test. I am trying as hard as I can, but I have to work much harder for the anatomy because there is no reasoning behind it at all.

Anatomy is a chore, get it over with first. Also it helps to know where your liver is before you learn what it does. But Physio is 100000 times more interesting and useful (as a pharmacist at least).