Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it required to take both semesters of anatomy for dental schools? Or is it okay to take anatomy 1 and not 2?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what schools you want to go to. Different schools have different requirements.

For the ones that do, I don't believe there are many (if any at all) that require 2 semesters, 1 should be sufficient.

As stated above, each school has different requirements and you should take a look at those prerequisites for schools that you are interested in applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'd take both. A lot of schools I'm applying to happen to require it though. At least more than I thought.

On the other hand, none of the schools I applied to required anatomy.

Well, okay. One required anatomy.

Is anatomy 2 physiology?
Schools do it differently. Mine has an Human Anatomy/Physiology 1 & 2 progression at the 200 level, then it has a Comparative Anatomy at 300 and a Physiology at the 400. I ended up doing the latter two to make my schedule work, but as far as I know my schools aren't too concerned with it.

Oh ok yea mine has 1 semester of anatomy then 1 semester of physiology OR 1 semester of A&P depending on your major.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools seem to want one semester of Anatomy and one semester of Physiology or 2 semesters of a combined Anatomy/Physiology course.

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools seem to want one semester of Anatomy and one semester of Physiology or 2 semesters of a combined Anatomy/Physiology course.
I think MWUAZ is the only school I interviewed at that required this.

Ohio State required it also. Ask me how I know...lol

Well, for future records. MWU-AZ is the only school I applied to that required those courses.

I applied mostly to schools on the east coast and USC out in Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)

Does it matter if we take upper or lower level anatomy?

Ohio State specifically wanted the 3000-4000 level.

I originally took a&p 1 as just a recommended course for dental school. When I got into dental school they told me I needed to take a&p 2 before I matriculate as a requirement now, so I am currently taking it over the summer (I didn't get accepted till mid-Feb). I got got

I originally took a&p 1 as just a recommended course for dental school. When I got into dental school they told me I needed to take a&p 2 before I matriculate as a requirement now, so I am currently taking it over the summer (I didn't get accepted till mid-Feb). I got got

Did you take upper level anatomy or lower level? My university has both

Did you take upper level anatomy or lower level? My university has both
I took a&p 1 at a CC so that's where I'm taking the second half. So lower level would probably do, but it never hurts to take upper level (if you feel like you can succeed in it)