Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDrakeRamoray

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an currently an undergrad in cell biology and I am considering taking an anatomy course this summer (Gross Human Anatomy). It is not required for my degree so I was wondering if it will help at all in med school, even just a small amount, to be framiliar with the basic human anatomy, even if I will end up learning it again in more detail? Note that I would not be taking it for this reason alone, also for interest. Advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Drake

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely take it. A lot of med schools don't recommend taking anatomy beforehand, but I can't figure out why. It would have been SO much nicer had I at least had a bit of knowledge on the subject from a prior formal anatomy course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I would have taken an anatomy class, but it wasn't part of my degree plan.

I think the biggest help to me in med school would have been to have had an anatomy class. Just to know how to pronounce the names of the muscles and know where everything was located would have made gross anatomy so much better!

Any biology class will help a little. Will it help a lot? I seriously doubt it. I would recommend staying away from school if you can. It'll be a shock no matter how well you prepare.

I would give you the advice to take it, but as far as I know, the only guy who had taken such a course in his former education just had it easier during the osteology as the other parts are teached more in depth in med school.
If you're interested, then take it! It would be great if you would greaten your ambition.

It's up to you to decide in the end though, choose what you think is best.

Thanks for the advice.

Did anyone use the textbook "Gray's Anatomy" (or Gray's Anatomy for Students) in med school for anatomy? Just wondering out of curiosity if there is a chance I'll be able to re-use the textbook later on because I've heard it is a fairly popular anatomy textbook.

Drake.

Thanks for the advice.

Did anyone use the textbook "Gray's Anatomy" (or Gray's Anatomy for Students) in med school for anatomy? Just wondering out of curiosity if there is a chance I'll be able to re-use the textbook later on because I've heard it is a fairly popular anatomy textbook.

Drake.

The two most popular books that I know of for anatomy are Moore & Dalley's Clinical Anatomy and Netter's Anatomy. Many medical schools require both.

Our school technically also requires Grant's Anatomy Dissector (which is also a wonderful book), but I never got it.

Taking anatomy before medical school is fine (I would definitely recommend it, along with a good intro histology course), so long as you can manage to keep a good grade in it.

Thanks for the advice.

Drake.

We are required to have both Moore & Dalley's Clinical Anatomy and Netter's Anatomy, but Gray's Anatomy is kept in high regard in many schools as well.
If you don't know the med school you're going to attend then it might be hard to determine whether or not you'll use it officially during class as a main source of information.

In my opinion it won't hurt having Gray's Anatomy even if you won't use it as a main source, it'll be easier to recognize the structures if you have various sources. It may come in handy!

We were required to by Moore and Netter but not Gray.

Thanks letting me know about some of the other anatomy books.

I was also wondering if anyone would consider taking anatomy in undergrad potentially harmful considering it is an elective (regarding gpa)? I've heard that it is fairly difficult but is it possible to do well in it while working full time in the summer in addition to another science course I will be taking?

Does anyone else agree that anatomy in undergrad will be helpful in med school?

Thanks.

Thanks letting me know about some of the other anatomy books.

I was also wondering if anyone would consider taking anatomy in undergrad potentially harmful considering it is an elective (regarding gpa)? I've heard that it is fairly difficult but is it possible to do well in it while working full time in the summer in addition to another science course I will be taking?

Does anyone else agree that anatomy in undergrad will be helpful in med school?

Thanks.

As an undergraduate course, it really depends on the professor. I doubt they'll require a medical school's level of memorization, but that hardly means it will be easy. And as you'll find in other related threads, taking gross anatomy as an undergrad does not give you an edge towards getting into medical school.

But imo, anatomy is easily the most grueling class you'll take during your first year. The more dissecting experience you have before you start medical school, the easier your future anatomy labs will be (it can be a REALLY frustrating experience without a solid background in dissection).

You could just play it safe and read up on anatomy on your own. Frankly, anatomy lectures are pretty worthless. You're going to have to teach yourself everything anyhow.