anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A doctor friend of mine has recommend that I find out what the book is that is used to teach Anatomy at my soon-to-be med school and start looking at it around a month at least in advance, or else he says I might be playing catch up all year.

Any advice to support or negate?

Gumshoe

Members don't see this ad.

i've been off one year before entering med school, by the way

thanks

:p

Originally posted by Gumshoe
A doctor friend of mine has recommend that I find out what the book is that is used to teach Anatomy at my soon-to-be med school and start looking at it around a month at least in advance, or else he says I might be playing catch up all year.

Any advice to support or negate?

Gumshoe

Enjoy your summer.

Study when you get to med school.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude don't pick up anything.

I've talked to some of the med students at Pritkzer about this sort of thing and they ALL said don't even bother and just to relax--we'll have our hands full for 3 quarters and Pritzker is P/F. I've been out 2 years and there are many people coming in that have been out far longer. Many weren't even science majors and did fine.

Don't do it! It will be a waste of your time. No one expects you to have had anatomy before you get to med school and most people haven't had it. I can't imagine who you would be trying to catch up with. The only reason to get the book early is if you could find it cheap or something, but if they are using a new edition, that won't help either. Perhaps your doctor friend was playing catch up because he didn't study during anatomy in med school? In that case, yes, I think you would have a tough time since you will find anatomy throughout most of the other classes (especially neuro).

Enjoy your summer!!!

I agree with the previous posters -- there's really no need to do this and it will be of minimal value. If you want to read something, pick something you'll enjoy since you'll have little time for that once school starts.

Don't do it. You will study plenty in school and it will be directed (hopefully) so that you aren't blindly looking around. Also, you may find that anatomy is the easiest of the first year courses and didn't need to go into such detail. ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!!!

Don't dismiss the idea of some kind of summer preparation before considering your own background. For example: I was a physical education major, had been out of school since 1995, and had essentially no science experience other than the barest of prereqs (orgo, gen chem, physics, 1/2 general biology). Not surprisingly, first year has been unrelenting misery simply because EVERYTHING was new.

Next example: unlike myself, a colleague had an extensive biochem/neuro/genetics background and basically had to do nothing in order to honor those classes, leaving ample time to concentrate on anatomy and some other things he was never exposed to. He had no qualms about doing nothing the summer before med school because he already knew 3/4 of the material before entering.

If your science base was as scant as mine and you don't absorb material like a sponge, then definitely do some prep work. Had I realized this last year, that's precisely what I would have done. Consider these words.

Okay, maybe. BUT if your background is simular to Back34, perhaps studying something concept based like biochem or physio might serve you better than anatomy. I just don't think that staring at an anatomy book or memorizing muscles over the summer will help you. If you think you'll be more confident having done just that, than do it!

I agree, trying to do anatomy (unless you can take a course) over the summer, especially by yourself, from a book, might be a bit difficult. Physio would be doable, though. If you could get your hands on Costanzo's "Physiology" (not the review book, but the actual text) and work through that, you'd start school knowing at least something and be that much more confident. Good luck.