Anatomy lab treatment by other students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellomiss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really bad at Anatomy lab. Anatomy is my least favorite and probably worst course in medical school. I almost failed second semester anatomy class but I worked really hard and managed to pass. Also, my lab partners treat me like an imbecile during lab and sometimes I feel like they think about how I even got into medical school in the first place. In lab, I feel identifying structures and understanding where everything is in the body comes naturally to other medical students, but for me, not so much. How can I not feel down about feeling inadequate during anatomy lab?

Members don't see this ad.

I am really bad at Anatomy lab. Anatomy is my least favorite and probably worst course in medical school. I almost failed second semester anatomy class but I worked really hard and managed to pass. Also, my lab partners treat me like an imbecile during lab and sometimes I feel like they think about how I even got into medical school in the first place. In lab, I feel identifying structures and understanding where everything is in the body comes naturally to other medical students, but for me, not so much. How can I not feel down about feeling inadequate during anatomy lab?
Anatomy lab really doesn't matter. All you have to do is pass.
Your lab partners should be ashamed of themselves. You would do well to brush it off.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
"use this as motivation to crush your enemies in biochem"
- probably ghengis khan

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just an MS1, but I agree wholeheartedly with the wise words posted here. It might help to remember that people far wiser than your lab partners saw your application, interviewed you, and chose to accept you. People who know what it takes to succeed in med school were confident in your abilities, and you should take some comfort in that.

Also, if you haven't already, reach out to academic advisors/TAs/your anatomy prof. and see if you can get some tutoring or some study tips that will help you pass comfortably. Maybe they can help you connect with other folks who are struggling, and y'all can form a study group/get a group tutor. I know constantly needing to ask for help can feel super demoralizing and lonely, but just keep telling yourself that there's no shame in the grind to success.

Reactions: 5 users
I completely agree with what others have said, don't let what others think determine how you view yourself.

But also, I tend to find that that calling yourself "bad at xyz" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As you said, it's your least favorite subject, and you feel bad whenever you're in anatomy lab. I observed that for many students this manifested as trying to avoid anatomy lab as much as possible--leading to further poor results. Reflect on your study habits and consider whether you are giving appropriate attention to this class which is clearly a weakness, or if you may be trying to avoid it.

Reactions: 6 users
I completely agree with what others have said, don't let what others think determine how you view yourself.

But also, I tend to find that that calling yourself "bad at xyz" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As you said, it's your least favorite subject, and you feel bad whenever you're in anatomy lab. I observed that for many students this manifested as trying to avoid anatomy lab as much as possible--leading to further poor results. Reflect on your study habits and consider whether you are giving appropriate attention to this class which is clearly a weakness, or if you may be trying to avoid it.

Sorry about the classmates, that really sucks. Unfortunately you just need to try to blow those kinds of folks off. You passed and that’s what matters.

Agree with @GoSpursGo , it’s human nature to minimize time spent on things we find unpleasant and struggle with which unfortunately in cases like this is the exact opposite of what needs to happen. Even if you are spending the time, because you’re frustrated, you might not be getting the most bang for your buck with your study time.

I would start first with showing yourself a little grace. this is new for you. things like anatomy require a very different approach than what we‘re used to so it can be hard to figure out the best way to study. plus, students have had varying levels of exposure to anatomy before med school so people are coming in from different baselines. Comparing yourself to them isn’t really helpful. You don’t suck, you’re just learning something new.

Are there tutors that can help? Or maybe a kinder, more patient classmate who is doing well that could help you, maybe help you find a different approach to learning the material that would work better for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry your group is full of tools. I can assure you nobody else has a clue what they’re doing and they’re all hanging on for dear life. Even if they’re top of the class and AOA with 99th percentile boards, I can promise you they get to intern year and still have no clue what they’re doing.

Even now after 10 years of training and starting my second year as an attending, I still call friends and mentors with questions about what to do with a given situation. The fact you can admit you don’t know something bodes well for your future.

Everyone is learning. Anyone that pretends they’re some anatomy Mozart is just full of it. Just keep studying and get better every time. Sounds like you’re right where you need to be.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Sorry your group is full of tools. I can assure you nobody else has a clue what they’re doing and they’re all hanging on for dear life. Even if they’re top of the class and AOA with 99th percentile boards, I can promise you they get to intern year and still have no clue what they’re doing.

Even now after 10 years of training and starting my second year as an attending, I still call friends and mentors with questions about what to do with a given situation. The fact you can admit you don’t know something bodes well for your future.

Everyone is learning. Anyone that pretends they’re some anatomy Mozart is just full of it. Just keep studying and get better every time. Sounds like you’re right where you need to be.
Beautiful. Thank you from a first-year medical student.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are struggling with anatomy, it helps to use a resource (we used the Rowan atlas) that uses photos of actual cadavers. It’s really hard to look at a lovely multicolored diagram and then try to find the same structure in a cadaver, where everything is mushy gray-brown.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I too was not a fan of all of anatomy (I did enjoy anatomy of organ systems I was considering as a specialty). But unfortunately, anatomy is one of those things you just gotta see a lot of times to understand what you're doing.

I don't know how your school is set up, but if you have the chance to go to the anatomy lab after hours/weekends w/ friends you trust who are good at identifying structures - go in and check out several bodies to identify structures from different angles, degrees of isolation, etc. Also use a 3D anatomy app if your school provides one.

I also remember using the following YouTube channels and them being super helpful: "The Noted Anatomist" and "Anatomy Zone"

Anki + image occlusion
Look up several images of each structure
Hot take - IO is great for stuff like bone structures, attachments, etc but can actively hurt learning and retaining position and identification of muscles. I find it very difficult to learn it in 2D, even with cadaver images.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I think the UMichigan Blue Link Anki deck absolutely slaps for learning anatomy on a cadaver.

Sorry your peers are such tools. I wish I had more advice on how to deal with them, but we all have had to grit our teeth and just deal with insecure people like that. I like to think being loved and respected is worth more in the long run than being rude and condescending. Keep your chin up.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I think the UMichigan Blue Link Anki deck absolutely slaps for learning anatomy on a cadaver.

Sorry your peers are such tools. I wish I had more advice on how to deal with them, but we all have had to grit our teeth and just deal with insecure people like that. I like to think being loved and respected is worth more in the long run than being rude and condescending. Keep your chin up.

do they have a path/histo one?

do they have a path/histo one?
Don't think so. You might need to rely on Anking for that.

Rubin's Pathology and Histology textbook series has some semi-decent practice questions in it. I'm sure you can find a free pdf online or through your library.