And THE Award Goes To...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think this is a record. Is that 4 or 5 different subforums now?

Gen residency ==> Fin Aid ==> Allopathic ==> Topics in Healthcare

What gives mods? Do you guys even know what you are doing shuffling threads all over the place like this? I've been on SDN for almost 2 years now and have had no problems until now. Just saw that another thread of mine also got moved today. Considering going on hiatus if this keeps up. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

It's scary to look at the numbers over here...
I am currently doing research and I'm considering the MD/PhD option which in that case would not give me any debt but still not sure...
Right now I'm not even worried whether I can finish my classes and get a good score on the MCAT.
Let's keep this discussion going over here

Don't forget, we need the 50th "Community College?" question of the week, complete with people who don't know **** and say not to do it, apparently not knowing what they're talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that anybody who tries to justify that tuitions are this high by saying that this is only a matter of demand is being naive.

Prices are determined by not just demand but also by supply. The number of medical schools is restricted by government regulations that is why these bastards can charge whatever they want.

If you want to lower tuition prices there are two and only two ways....

1) allow anyone with cash to open up a medical school and meet accreditation requirements or...

2) have the government solve the problem that it created by regulating prices or providing subsidies

I prefer option 2

Last edited:
Or reduce the demand for medical schools. Once people catch on and start going overseas, and I don't mean to the islands, or to eastern Europe, but to internationally recognized universities throughout the world, then things will change.

I think that anybody who tries to justify that tuitions are this high by saying that this is only a matter of demand is being naive.

Prices are determined by not just demand but also by supply. The number of medical schools is restricted by government regulations that is why these bastards can charge whatever they want.

1) allow anyone with cash to open up a medical school and meet accreditation requirements or...

2) have the government solve the problem that it created by regulating prices or providing subsidies

I prefer option 2

Perhaps simply reducing the amount students can borrow would solve the problem. Or better yet get rid of student loans all together and use the australian system of taking a percentage of income when students are earning.

Reducing the amount students could borrow wouldn't do anything but price a lot of decent, middle-class students out of medical school. And, as far as giving more of a percentage of my income to Uncle Sam, no thanks on that one. Taxes are already high enough. State medical schools are much less expensive. So, unless you just feel like giving your money away, most students who need loans should go to one of those to cut down costs and still get high quality education.

Perhaps simply reducing the amount students can borrow would solve the problem.

Yea that would keep it only for the rich...

Does anyone know what the raw costs of running a medical school are? It seemed like except for the bodies in anatomy lab, most other costs were in administration and teaching. We are definitely overpaying for that!

Reducing the amount students could borrow wouldn't do anything but price a lot of decent, middle-class students out of medical school. And, as far as giving more of a percentage of my income to Uncle Sam, no thanks on that one. Taxes are already high enough. State medical schools are much less expensive. So, unless you just feel like giving your money away, most students who need loans should go to one of those to cut down costs and still get high quality education.

I think it would exclude almost everyone. I dont think many pre-meds have 300k, or even 50k to pay for med school. Thus the majority of people will be borrowing some amount. The school will still want to fill seats, and would likely lower tuition in order to maximize revenue.
Paying a percentage of your income instead of loans would be good, considering the possibility that with the current changes in medicine, physician salaries may decline in some fields.

I prefer option 2
Not really. IIRC, Medical Schools have, on average, 20 applicants for every spot. Since many of those are duplicate applications (people apply to more than one school) IIRC the overall chance of being accepted somewhere was like 40-50%. Thus, even if you doubled the number of seats, there would still be students to fill them. Therefore, I don't think that it is naive to approximate this as a demand-mediated problem.

Tufts has been taking a bashing on his thread, but as a potential Tufts class of 2014, I'm just going to say tuition is +/- a couple thousand from the vast majority of private schools, while cost of living in Boston adds a it more.

Call me naive, but I don't think increasing class size or increasing tuition is just the "business" of education. Most schools are around 25-30% tuition dependent, meaning tuition only coves 25% of their budget, meaning they lose money on each student (and make it up via faculty research grants, deans tax, etc.). Case in point, the UCs are getting funding cuts, and Davis (and others) are cutting class sizes as a result, not increasing them.

As if being a pre-med in CA wasn't hard enough alredy.

So what? Doctors make fortunes and can easily pay off this debt. We're not talking auto workers whose lives have been ruined by republican idiocy.

Boy, that's strong language dude. you have a good point though.

Last edited:
Stanford's cost of tuition is $45k/year of basic sciences, and $60k/year of clinical sciences. If you live off campus, the total cost of attedance for students entering in 2009-2010 is estimated to be ~$330,000 (but merely $317,000 if you live on campus).

Stanford med students graduate with the lowest debt ($86k) in the country except for that government owned Uniformed Services school ($0), University of Hawaii ($80k), and East Carolina ($85k). They pay for 60% of your financial need in grants.

Perhaps simply reducing the amount students can borrow would solve the problem. Or better yet get rid of student loans all together and use the australian system of taking a percentage of income when students are earning.

Wow, you need to take an economics class. Students can CHOOSE to take out loans, so how would taking out that option help them? That's like curing AIDS with a bullet to the head. Take a percentage of income, are you kidding me? That's basically encouraging doctors to work fewer hours and work in highly populated areas (instead of rural areas which have few doctors)- I'm sure that'll be great for our current doctor shortage.