And you matched at...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sadf

Members don't see this ad.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
You guys don't understand a freaking thing. This isn't so much to bash jpollei, but to get the people who don't know what they're talking about to shut up. I'm sick of freaking 1st and 2nd years mouthing off about something they don't have a clue about.

UNLV. You need to relax a bit. jpollei worked hard and eventually got what he wanted. Most would have given up. That program doesn't just take anyone, match OR post-match. His advice isn't bad. Maybe he didn't match ideally, but I did and at a damn good 6 year OMFS program, and I say people should listen to him.

Congrats jpollei and keep telling people your story.

OMFSdoc said:
UNLV. You need to relax a bit. jpollei worked hard and eventually got what he wanted. Most would have given up. That program doesn't just take anyone, match OR post-match. His advice isn't bad. Maybe he didn't match ideally, but I did and at a damn good 6 year OMFS program, and I say people should listen to him.

Congrats jpollei and keep telling people your story.

yeah why don't you relax. no need to take anything serious in this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Supernova2008 said:
Post-match...match...non-match...It doesn't really matter. The bottom line is, he was accepted into arguably the most competitive specialty program at one of the most well respected dental schools in the country...'nuff said

I agree with this. Getting in IS getting in. I don't care if you beg, steal, borrow, cry, or gnaw your way through the program directors door using your incisors and losing your mammelons in the process. What will you say if he ends up being the brightest of his class and was the "poor post matcher". What kind of second class will he be in then? Getting in isn't as scientific as an exam or board exam. It is more subjective.

esclavo said:
I agree with this. Getting in IS getting in. I don't care if you beg, steal, borrow, cry, or gnaw your way through the program directors door using your incisors and losing your mammelons in the process. What will you say if he ends up being the brightest of his class and was the "poor post matcher". What kind of second class will he be in then? Getting in isn't as scientific as an exam or board exam. It is more subjective.

So there would have been an easier way than busting hump to do well in class for 3 years, nailing boards, and getting involved in everything that sounded remotely interesting? Dang, wish I'd known that in the first place...could've saved me a lot of time! :)

Sorry, accidental duplicate post (which I don't know how to delete)...

Here is the point.....I have no life, so I take everything VERY seriously on here. Dental school has destroyed my will to live and left me a very bitter and depressed person.

I dont understand all the fuss over jpollei post-matching.

So he didnt get into a program via the traditional match and got in the backdoor. Programs dont just randomly find riffraffs off the street to fill the empty spots.

Anybody would have loved to be his shoes.

The problem I have w/ pollei's posts is that he sounded so condescending about other ortho programs & applicants before the match results came out. The best ortho program is the one that you go to--no need for disparaging remarks.

Surfs up said:
The best ortho program is the one that you go to

I agree 100%.
Nothing disparaging was meant towards other programs in anything that was previously posted...

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Dental school has destroyed my will to live and left me a very bitter and depressed person.

Yeah... Me too. The sad part is, residency isn't all that better. Different sort of stress.

WestCoast said:
Yeah... Me too. The sad part is, residency isn't all that better. Different sort of stress.

AMEN to that brutha!

Doggie said:
AMEN to that brutha!

Congrats to jpollei.
Sure he wasn't forthcoming (ok fine, if you read his old posts you could call it lying by omission) about his result of not matching, but nothing to get too excited about. Perhaps he didn't expose his insecurities about the whole crazy process and some of his posts came across as a cocky "newbie" to some. I can tell from his newer posts that he has come out a more experienced and humbled individual.
Hopefully UNC and other schools will also come out a little more humbled and actually rank all the interviewees.
And oh ya, the stars were lined up for you that day bro, I mean two unfilled spots at UNC?????son of a gun:) So how did that day go????Was it a mad dash to the ortho clinic for you and other UNC non-matchers?? How did you find out about getting in?
Anyone find out where the 3rd open spot was?

Members don't see this ad :)
TKD said:
Congrats to jpollei.
Sure he wasn't forthcoming (ok fine, if you read his old posts you could call it lying by omission) about his result of not matching, but nothing to get too excited about. Perhaps he didn't expose his insecurities about the whole crazy process and some of his posts came across as a cocky "newbie" to some. I can tell from his newer posts that he has come out a more experienced and humbled individual.
Hopefully UNC and other schools will also come out a little more humbled and actually rank all the interviewees.
And oh ya, the stars were lined up for you that day bro, I mean two unfilled spots at UNC?????son of a gun:) So how did that day go????Was it a mad dash to the ortho clinic for you and other UNC non-matchers?? How did you find out about getting in?
QUOTE]

I think the point is this: Ortho programs don't accept numbers... they accept a person. Using jpollei as my example (for lack of a better one) he may have "nailed the boards" been numero uno in his class and was involved in "everything that sounded remotely interesting," but come match day, not one program wanted him. What does that mean? That even a great CV can't make a golden candidate. As evidenced, someone that annoys everyone they meet stands a strong chance of not matching... and possibly begging, stealing, borrowing, crying, or gnawing through the program director's door for the coveted unmatched spot, but don't lie about it (even if by omission). Show a little humility! Be thankful for the HUGE miracle that just landed in your lap!

hitsbig said:
I think the point is this: Ortho programs don't accept numbers... they accept a person. Using jpollei as my example (for lack of a better one) he may have "nailed the boards" been numero uno in his class and was involved in "everything that sounded remotely interesting," but come match day, not one program wanted him. What does that mean? That even a great CV can't make a golden candidate. As evidenced, someone that annoys everyone they meet stands a strong chance of not matching... and possibly begging, stealing, borrowing, crying, or gnawing through the program director's door for the coveted unmatched spot, but don't lie about it (even if by omission). Show a little humility! Be thankful for the HUGE miracle that just landed in your lap!

Ooh, I love hearing people make statements like this knowing half a story. They are entertaining, though not necessarily substantiated or accurate.
I'm probably not out on a limb saying that everyone who has a home at an ortho program next year is grateful for it, and that the whole application process is humbling in and of itself...even for the "annoying" as you put it. I'm convinced that things work out the way they are intended to...for everyone involved. Even if that means being spoon-fed humility along the way.
Just out of curiousity, where are you going to be next year? It sounds like you interviewed as well this past fall; and as you obviously have no inhibitions about what's on your mind here on SDN, I'm sure you don't mind sharing with us where you'll be at well so we can congratulate you.

jpollei
Could you please elaborate for those who will be applying next year how the whole process works when you don't match. Do you have to resubmit your applications... How is it exactly handled. This type of information would help alot of SDNers if they are faced with similar circumstances. I have had SNDers PM me but I was unable to shed any light on it. It would be great coming from a succesful scrambler.
Thanks in advance.

Mayo Ortho said:
jpollei
Could you please elaborate for those who will be applying next year how the whole process works when you don't match. Do you have to resubmit your applications... How is it exactly handled. This type of information would help alot of SDNers if they are faced with similar circumstances. I have had SNDers PM me but I was unable to shed any light on it. It would be great coming from a succesful scrambler.
Thanks in advance.

Ummm, this one is easy. The post-match scramble doesn't exist. 248 people didn't match, there were 2 open spots after match. One of those spots apparently went to an unmatched candidate at that school. The other spot went to one other very lucky person. The other 246 unmatched candidates are pretty much out of luck till next year. Some of the people on this thread said that by the time they called UNC, they were told "uhhh, there are no spots."

Last year there was 1 post-match spot at LSU, the year before there were 5 spots - 2 at Louisville, 2 at Nebraska, 1 at UCLA. From what I heard, the UCLA spot was gone as soon as it was discovered, the 2 at Nebraska went to Nebraska people. Programs learn they have open spots at 9am (eastern time) giving them 3 hours to figure out what to do before the unmatched candidates can check the site at noon to see where open spots are.

I heard many current residents trying to explain the process of post-matching in the event you don't match (look at the match website, call the programs with open spots, fax your stuff over, etc.). I had to sit there and laugh silently as candidates listened with interest in the post-match process. Post-match works for GPR positions. In ortho, you really have to have the stars align to grab one of those spots.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Here is the point.....I have no life, so I take everything VERY seriously on here. Dental school has destroyed my will to live and left me a very bitter and depressed person.

Residency is going to take you from this very low spot in which you find yourself at the end of dental school and it is going to put chancres on your soul, scab/scar your personality, spit/urinate on your self dignity, and turn up-side-down your circadium rhythms. Then you can come back onto SDN for very limited, quick moments of light hearted enjoyment. Let me have the distinguished honor of being the first to welcome you to the next chapter of your life.....

It is kind of like that well known tale of a bride on her wedding day in the dressing room with her mother. "Mom, today is the most wonderful day of my life, I am getting married. Today is the end of my problems...." Mom: "yeah, your totally right... but which end..." Does this bride remind anyone of themselves during match day? I thought I'd climbed to the top of the tallest mountain in the world. As a resident, I've had days, no let me re-phrase that, I've had hours that were more painful than all of my professional preparation/process up to residency. Boy, I'm sounding like the Grinch... I'll stop.

esclavo said:
As a resident, I've had days, no let me re-phrase that, I've had hours that were more painful than all of my professional preparation/process up to residency.
I'll second that. But when I have a moment such as this, I think about my fellow dental classmates packing amalgam, and a warm, fuzzy feeling instantly passes over me...then I think of my buddy doing Perio, and I've totally forgotten what was bothering me to begin with. =)

esclavo said:
Residency is going to take you from this very low spot in which you find yourself at the end of dental school and it is going to put chancres on your soul, scab/scar your personality, spit/urinate on your self dignity, and turn up-side-down your circadium rhythms. Then you can come back onto SDN for very limited, quick moments of light hearted enjoyment. Let me have the distinguished honor of being the first to welcome you to the next chapter of your life.....

It is kind of like that well known tale of a bride on her wedding day in the dressing room with her mother. "Mom, today is the most wonderful day of my life, I am getting married. Today is the end of my problems...." Mom: "yeah, your totally right... but which end..." Does this bride remind anyone of themselves during match day? I thought I'd climbed to the top of the tallest mountain in the world. As a resident, I've had days, no let me re-phrase that, I've had hours that were more painful than all of my professional preparation/process up to residency. Boy, I'm sounding like the Grinch... I'll stop.

Can't wait to start. :laugh:

esclavo said:
You're just mad because you probably felt even more inferior in person than you did by reading how much mental effort he put into understanding his quest to do ortho. It sucks to meet people who want what you want but even more, and then realize they put in 10 X the effort to understand the process. It sucks to know you might not be in the same boat. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.... and quit your yappying like a chihuahua
I see that you were warned for this, but I loved it...

griffin04 said:
Ummm, this one is easy. The post-match scramble doesn't exist. 248 people didn't match, there were 2 open spots after match. One of those spots apparently went to an unmatched candidate at that school. The other spot went to one other very lucky person. The other 246 unmatched candidates are pretty much out of luck till next year. Some of the people on this thread said that by the time they called UNC, they were told "uhhh, there are no spots."

Last year there was 1 post-match spot at LSU, the year before there were 5 spots - 2 at Louisville, 2 at Nebraska, 1 at UCLA. From what I heard, the UCLA spot was gone as soon as it was discovered, the 2 at Nebraska went to Nebraska people. Programs learn they have open spots at 9am (eastern time) giving them 3 hours to figure out what to do before the unmatched candidates can check the site at noon to see where open spots are.

I heard many current residents trying to explain the process of post-matching in the event you don't match (look at the match website, call the programs with open spots, fax your stuff over, etc.). I had to sit there and laugh silently as candidates listened with interest in the post-match process. Post-match works for GPR positions. In ortho, you really have to have the stars align to grab one of those spots.

I guess I was wondering about the exact experience. Even though the people that scrambled and obtained the spots were "lucky" they obviously knew the process and did it very well to get the spots. That's why I was hoping that jpollei would shed some light on it because he has done it.. Again jpollei if you could shed some light on this subject it would be very appreciated. Thanks

WestCoast said:

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayo Ortho said:
I guess I was wondering about the exact experience. Even though the people that scrambled and obtained the spots were "lucky" they obviously knew the process and did it very well to get the spots. That's why I was hoping that jpollei would shed some light on it because he has done it.. Again jpollei if you could shed some light on this subject it would be very appreciated. Thanks

I think it helped in that he goes to school where the two unmatched spots were. I guess he walked down to ortho, asked what the deal was, and they took him rather than a non-unc student.

DcS said:
I think it helped in that he goes to school where the two unmatched spots were. I guess he walked down to ortho, asked what the deal was, and they took him rather than a non-unc student.

Or perhaps they even contacted him prior to the noon hour.

ItsGavinC said:
Or perhaps they even contacted him prior to the noon hour.

Yup. For the people on here who don't know Pollei it would have been a crime had he not matched, to see someone work so hard for something for four years and possibly not match would have been crappy. He deserved the spot regardless of how he got it, period.

DcS said:
Yup. For the people on here who don't know Pollei it would have been a crime had he not matched, to see someone work so hard for something for four years and possibly not match would have been crappy. He deserved the spot regardless of how he got it, period.

I think you could say that about lots of people that didn't match also.

dentalgent06 said:
I'm also interested in that info :) and while we're at it what were match results at CWRU, Tufts, Stonybrook, Buffalo, Howard, Maryland....? It would be interesting to know stats on how many guys versus girls the programs took also

Congrats to all that matched!!!! I'm sure this site will become useless for ya'll now but any info of who got in where and their credentials would still be greatly appreciated by the rest of us :)

Buffalo MATCH spots (4 total):
1 from University at Buffalo (male)
1 from UMDNJ (female)
1 from UCONN (male)
1 from U of Iowa (male)

Definitely a good group!
Congrats to all who matched...especially SDog!