And you wonder why med mal is going to be the end of us all..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bet he feels completely justified in taking advantage of the situation. Morally, what a prick. It's cali's fault for leaving the loop hole open, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's obvious he isn't doing this to help his fellow handicapped breathens because he would have asked the business owners to make it more handicap-accessible before threatening with a lawsuit.

Why didn't the journalist call him out on that?

All we hear is the guy whining about how hard it is to for him to get around---well, we know that, but he decides to use that as an excuse to leech off of others.

I assume he donates the money won to support groups for disabled people. Right?

:rolleyes:

The ADA's national though. Not just CA. He could easily take this show on the road.

I think (not having watched the whole video) the loophole in California is you can use the ADA stuff to sue for punitive (aka punishing) damages.

Like, in my state, if I sue a building for not having a wheelchair ramp, the judgment can just sue to A) Have the ramp installed and B) For any financial damages this may have caused me (I.e. couldn't accept a new job there that paid more, so they pay the differential until it's repaired).

California lets you do the "Whaaa, pain and suffering" damages. So he can say by not having a ramp the restaurant caused him huge psychological trauma that can only be relieved with hundreds of thousands of dollars, so that's why they settle for chump change.