Anesthesia After Finished IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hsiaodi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long term reader and also long time absent member. Glad to see SDN is still thriving with knowledgeable and helpful people.

This question certainly has appeared many times in different ways, so I'll keep my very brief and straight to the point.

Performed poorly in Med School (took extra 1 1/2 years)
Performed poorly on Steps (180's/180's with one retake/210 with one retake)
I attributed to just poor test taking skills/anxiety on tests (you can attribute that maybe i'm just not smart)
Finished IM in July from a nice community program (3 years without any disciplinary actions, and some nice letters)
Currently doing research at a major institution in Anesthesia Department. (Paid position, mostly clinical "PGY 4" pay grade)

Other than publishing like crazy and get into NEJM, JAMA, whichever high impact journals out there.... Do I have any chance? What can I do? Applying through match again? This year/next year/never?

Any inputs/comments/suggestions/scoldings welcome.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Really? (Sinefield's Op piece was pretty good...)
No one even bother to crush my dream? (I've been around a few times, I can take it)
From a Scale of 1 to 10? (0 being, just stick to your day job. 10 being I'd take you tomorrow...)

Got enough views just no comments....

I think it's great that you're doing research at a reputable place. Get some pubs and with enough connections you should be able to spark a fire somewhere. However these are my concerns for you:

1) below average USMLE scores - telling that you would have a difficult time passing gas boards
2) changing careers after 3 years of IM - normally IM folks change over after 1 year so why 3? Are you board certified in IM? That would help immensely and would support a interest in CC.
3) attributing your performance to "poor test taking skills" shows no assumption of responsibility. No PD wants to hear this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks angrybird.

Would it change your mind if I was diagnosed recently with a learning disability?
How do you sugges that I can explain all my lack blockbuster performances on all standardize exams without sounding like I'm not taking responsibility for my actions? I promise to study harder? Or can I say even though I don't pass the first time I always pass the second time?
That's where I get stuck. But there is no way around it. Other than publishing novels and volume of researches do I have other options?

Secondily, may I ask what level of training are you at?

Why three years? Because it is something I knew I could finish without any problems. Rather than with nothing to show for after years of education I figure i'd rather finish with internal medicine than nothing. I can have a possible career than a speciality I want so badly but won't acknowledge my effort.

Why would practicing anesthesiology be more satisfying to you than practicing internal medicine?

Additionally, being diagnosed with a learning disability will prove neither a strength nor a selling point, and as an explanation I still doubt would improve your standing.

"Why would practicing anesthesiology be more satisfying to you than practicing internal medicine?

Additionally, being diagnosed with a learning disability will prove neither a strength nor a selling point, and as an explanation I still doubt would improve your standing."

"Oh I've finish internal medicine, and spending a year of being paid next to nothing to get into the door...

I certainly appreciate physiology more than drug dispensing day in and day out. In the current environment, I really would not have any job satisfaction. I enjoy being in the OR. I like the fact that I can trust my skills both manually and intellectually.... I like the brief patient interaction...."

"All that sounds great! Let's talk about your board scores... What happened?"

Going back to my original point, it is hard (or perhaps impossible) for me to counter any kind of criticism on my scores. All anyone has to do is ask how come you've done so poorly on your standardize exams? There is no come back from that point on.

Thanks Jay for your time.

I certainly appreciate physiology"

I'm certain I probably said something like this in my residency interview, which just sounds like BS - How do you really appreciate physiology?

I enjoy being in the OR. I like the fact that I can trust my skills both manually and intellectually"

This statement sounds better, except you don't have much to back this up. One novel way of attaining more credence to this statement, although it's not directly in line with anesthesia - I know of FP's that first assist for surgeons (rather than PA/tech). This might be a leg up for you in the way of job experience. I'd say look into this, as it will get you into the OR. There's really no way to get on the anesthesia side of the curtain as an internist. Then spin this OR experience into why anesthesia.

I like the brief patient interaction...."

Although true, this is a hard statement to qualify in a "good sounding" way to an interviewer. I'd leave it out unless you can spin it positively.

Going back to my original point, it is hard (or perhaps impossible) for me to counter any kind of criticism on my scores. All anyone has to do is ask how come you've done so poorly on your standardize exams? There is no come back from that point on.

I'd tell the interviewer that you were lazy and didn't devote enough time to studying. It bit you in the ass and has prevented you from going into the field you desired. You've changed.
Since you can't up your scores on any exams as of now, you'll have to pull a "Good Will Hunting" and read up on your anesthesia texts, then volunteer to be tested on material during your interview as a sign of your dedication and ability to pass the boards. Sounds crazy, but short of this, I can't see how you can convince your interviewers otherwise. You can study during the year you're working as a first assist to surgeons.

If you're NOT lazy and truly dedicated to joining the field, you will do this - it's do whatever it takes for at least a year. Get that training for first-assist. Find that job where you can do this. Move there. Read an anesthesia text daily and do the same question books residents use. Then mention all that you've been willing to do just to get a shot at anesthesia. Offer to be pimped during your interview. I couldn't find a way that you can take the ITE for anesthesia - otherwise if you could score big on that, it would also up your game.

Good luck.

Thanks Jay! Certainly appreciate your feedback. Will definitely study hard, and when I get a chance to pull a good will hunting....