Anesthesia Basic Exam 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBCbeME

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do we get our results (pass/fail) for the 2018 anesthesia basic exam? I am having heart palpitations.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are scores sent directly to us or do they go to our program first?

My guess is Wednesday based on previous years timelines.

Another anesthesia resident told me the test results come out 6-8weeks after the exam so we’ll probably get the results next week (although kind of hope/dread it’s this week).

Members don't see this ad :)
Results are posted! I PASSED!!

Reactions: 1 user
Dude... who cares?
I guess that only I do.

I figure, when choosing a program I was very interested in a program that would facilitate me becoming an excellent anesthesiologist, including building a strong foundation of knowledge. Didactics and education were important if not essential to me. The basic exam is simply a metric (however flawed it may be) confirming that those things I sought are found here and it's working.

People would care a great deal if half the class failed the basic exam... So why is it irrelevant that half the class crushed the exam?

Let me know when the basic exam puts food on your table

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't gotten any letter yet but my PD sent me an email saying "congrats on your score" and that I had scored in the top 10%. It was news to me (rare good news though). Guess they find out before we do.

What’s the point of the ABA 10% letter anyways? Like, good job, here’s a pat on the back? I wish they gave us some cash money instead.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s the point of the ABA 10% letter anyways? Like, good job, here’s a pat on the back? I wish they gave us some cash money instead.

I’m a CA-1 right now but I thought getting that letter may help you attain a top fellowship program? Especially in the more competitive fields like cardiac or pain. Idk.. could be wrong tho.

I’m a CA-1 right now but I thought getting that letter may help you attain a top fellowship program? Especially in the more competitive fields like cardiac or pain. Idk.. could be wrong tho.

Nope, most of the time we don’t even know and your other scores (ITE, AKT) will reflect strong performance.

Strong scores plus a little bit of research goes much farther than a top 10% letter - remember, the basic exam is still fairly new so many PDs don’t even know about them.

Nope, most of the time we don’t even know and your other scores (ITE, AKT) will reflect strong performance.

Strong scores plus a little bit of research goes much farther than a top 10% letter - remember, the basic exam is still fairly new so many PDs don’t even know about them.
****ing research...just another box to fill. I hate research, def not my cup of tea.

Reactions: 1 users