Anesthesia billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthdoc21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was recently offered a small gig at a GI office which would supplement my income. The only issue is the GI allows me to do all my own billing. I have no idea even where to start. I currently work for a hospital that bills for me. To all those who do your own billing, I would love to hear either about the steps that I need to take, or where I can find such information.

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I was recently offered a small gig at a GI office which would supplement my income. The only issue is the GI allows me to do all my own billing. I have no idea even where to start. I currently work for a hospital that bills for me. To all those who do your own billing, I would love to hear either about the steps that I need to take, or where I can find such information.

Thank you in advance

You need to find a 3rd party to bill for you. You can probably get them to do it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4% of collections. You send them the patient info, insurance info, and necessary documentation and they take it from there. This is just a mildly educated guess, though, as I've never been in a situation trying to get billing for a single physician. I'm also not entirely sure what rates you would be able to bill at as you might need to negotiate with each individual insurer or just send them a bill for whatever and collect whatever they are willing to pay.

Interesting proposition. Probably better for you in the long run to do your own billing, but creates a lot of up front headache.

What sort of patients are they? I wonder if you could just charge a flat cash rate for each procedure?

Also, what are you doing for malpractice? Will your current insurer cover you or are you getting another policy?

My current carrier will cover me. These patients are insured, about 60% private and 40% medicaid/medicaire. I doubt they will pay cash.