1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Anesthesia Course Improvements

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by stlblues, Jul 24, 2006.

1. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Hi all,

I'm a 4th year med student applying to gas this year and am working on revamping the anesthesia elective curriculum at my school (specifically the 4-week rotation for visiting students). I haven't actually done any away gas rotations, and so wanted to know what makes a good anesthesia rotation (in terms of curriculum, teaching, objectives, assignments, etc.). Do most programs have some sort of curriculum? Was it helpful? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Breezee

Breezee Member
    7+ Year Member

One thing I enjoyed about most of my rotations is that I was exposed to various aspects of anesthesiology. I think a good rotation should give the student a fair amount of general anesthesiology exposure but also exposure to obstetrics, regional, pain, ect. Maybe even someone to teach the students how to start peripheral IV's. I've found that most students coming out of medical school never really got much experience with this.

4. SleepIsGood

SleepIsGood Support the ASA !
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Right on with above post.

-Have a airway workshop...with manequins,etc.
    -IV workshop
    -Difficult airway workshop
    -GOOD lectures on pharmacology pertinent to anesthesiology
    -Give the students the opportunity to rotate through the general OR but also OB, Pain, or the ICU where anesthesiologists work.
    -let students out early :D

5. johankriek

johankriek Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    If I was running an anesthesia rotation

show up on early for the cases

stick around for the pre anesthesia interview, iv placement(done by student) , room set up etc

stay for induction

talk to the resident for about 20 minutes

out of the room for a quick breakfast

quick lecture or discussion by me after breakfast..

Free to go home around 10 -11am if you want.. if you wanna stay and do more cases fine by me... but the longer you stay the lower your grade gets..

now thats a month..

the point of the month is not to make you an anesthesiologist.. the point is to see if you are interested.. and may be for you..

6. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

have copies of baby miller and anesthesia secrets available for the students to check out for the month so they'll have something to read.

put them with good attendings who enjoy to teach. same goes for residents. At least put em with the "cool" folks if nothing else.

they should be there before the first case of the day to throw in the IV, go over an anesthetic plan with resident, go over the airway. That way they'll get to intubate every time.

There should be some introduction lecture the first day by somebody who cares. Go over the basics with the students so at least they know the difference between a RSI, MAC, GEN, Modified RSI, the diff between NDMR and SUX, PROPOFOL and the rest, what the hell Min alv conc is, laryngeal anatomy.

Really they can just read this:
    http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/Internet/Anesthesiology-Elective/

nice work who ever put that site together.

Vent

7. BlitzSleep

BlitzSleep Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Lower? is there a reason why?

8. johankriek

johankriek Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Post Doc

just to avoid the "gunner type mentality"

9. LostTommyGuns

LostTommyGuns ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    [As a fourth year going into Anesthesia] I think it depends on what your goals for the rotation are...

When I did earlier away rotations I was looking for letters and working more frequently with a faculty member gave me that opportunity and that was beneficial.

When I was unsure about whether Anesthesia was my career path it was nice to see some variety: basic Anesthesia, Intensive Care, Cardiac, Obstetric, Pain, etc.

When I am looking at a program I consider the program as a whole: city/state, how the residents get along, the lectures, the time allocated to reading/learning, how malignant the residents or faculty are. Usually the best strategy is to work with as many people as possible.

My feeling is that if you want a really good rotation you will take the above (including other people's suggestions) into account and be sure to have a good lecture series. I spoke with on Program Director and he said that his goal was to have a rotation that did not teach people Anesthesia but rather taught people ABOUT anesthesia. If they go into surgery, medicine, derm, family, or your personal favorite they would better understand the role that the Anesthesiologist plays, what information/treatment could assist them and how to more effectively use them.

Just a thought :D