Anesthesia E-Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about buying an e-book reader, and with the inundation of information about the ipad today, i just can't procrastinate this question any longer: Are the major anesthesia texts, like Baby Miller, Lange, etc. available in an e-book format? And if so, which reader is best?

Being an Mac user, though not a Jobs cult devotee, I'm thinking about the ipad, though buying the first gen of any of their products is a questionable thing to do. Does anyone have experience with any of the readers?

More importantly, I really only want to invest in this technology if our major textbooks are available, or will be available soon. While it would be nice to be able to carry fifty paperback books in my hand, I don't have that kind of free time for recreational reading. I've checked out the Kindle store, but the titles they have available don't seem to be the ones we, or at least I, am reading on a regular basis.

Hope to hear some different opinions and gather some information before I make a purchase I don't really need.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a nook, and owned a sony ereader before that. I really don't think e-ink technology is good enough for text book. Takes too long to flip pages, resolution is not high enough for pictures, & annotating is difficult

recreational reading is all that it is good for in my opinion.

ipad? dunno

I have a nook, and owned a sony ereader before that. I really don't think e-ink technology is good enough for text book. Takes too long to flip pages, resolution is not high enough for pictures, & annotating is difficult

recreational reading is all that it is good for in my opinion.

ipad? dunno

Agree. I have a sony reader - love it for fiction. It sucks for textbooks - way too slow. I'm waiting for the notion ink adam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the iPad and I will truthfully say that it is awesome. There aren't any good anesthesia books in "epub" format on iTunes yet but you can find several out there in PDF format. I just paid $0.99 for the app Goodreader and it's awesome! I have miller, Morgan & mikhail and "the icu book" on my iPad already (PDF) format and it's pretty sweet. Turn through the pages like any other ereader, graphs, pics and all. I basically found miller online and I had online access to the other books through my program so I just clicked each section and selected "print" but instead saved it as a PDF and then just transferred it onto the iPad wirelessly via the app. Good stuff.

Looking forward to only carrying around 1.5 lbs...

(by the way, thank you sdn for making the forums not come up as the "mobile" format for the iPad anymore...life is good)

anybody have updated experiences using the ipad for textbooks? is the screen too bright vs something like a kindle? played around with the ipad2 in the store and it's pretty cool, and seems like it would be great to have thousands of pages on a little tablet.

are any publishers embracing e-readers for these texts? Seems like there are ways of getting copies of these books on a device, but they require a little craftiness.

You can buy all of the major anesthesia texts as ebooks through amazon, granted they cost 70ish percent of the hardcovers. Having lots of books on my ipad is awesome. As previous user mentioned... 1.5 lbs with virtually unlimited amount of knowledge and entertainment. I find it relatively easy to read off my ipad, especially in dark rooms. It doesn't have the book ink feel like the nook or likewise, but it works well for me. Full color graphics also. Highly recommend it. Like previous user also, I printed major book chapters to PDF drom our library webpage and put them on the ipad so they're accessible at all times. Love it!

anybody have updated experiences using the ipad for textbooks? is the screen too bright vs something like a kindle? played around with the ipad2 in the store and it's pretty cool, and seems like it would be great to have thousands of pages on a little tablet.

are any publishers embracing e-readers for these texts? Seems like there are ways of getting copies of these books on a device, but they require a little craftiness.

yeah ive used this method on both ipad and my new ipad 2. Ive downloaded books from amazon flawlessly and used Papers for ipad/mac to store and sync journal articles and textbook chapters which ive converted to pdf form from the online library. a little time consuming, but now i have several textbooks in pdf/chapter form that i can pull up at any time and the presentation is fantastic. its my #1 favorite thing about the ipad honestly

Thanks for the input. Are the Amazon versions you're referring to the "Kindle Editions?" I guess you use the Kindle app for iPad and read through that? What I really want on the iPad is Morgan and Mikhail, but it looks like there's no ebook version available yet.

Thanks for the input. Are the Amazon versions you're referring to the "Kindle Editions?" I guess you use the Kindle app for iPad and read through that? What I really want on the iPad is Morgan and Mikhail, but it looks like there's no ebook version available yet.

theres an ebook app for it on the ipad but unfortunately, it costs as much as the hardcover