Anesthesia electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3unsure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Is it necessary to do more than one career elective (since I don't care to go to any particular place)? I'm trying to get an icu month but if not, am I okay to just have the 1 month of gen anesth? Suggestions to improve the application in terms of fourth year electives? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do anesthesia, you should do a month of anesthesia some time during med school before the applications/interviews. In my opinion, you do not need to do more than that and should spend your time doing other useful rotations. ICU is good. I always tell people they should do things they won't be doing again. I think derm and sports medicine rotations are good. People will ask you to look at their spot simply because you're a doctor and your neighbor's kid will sprain his ankle, and you're supposed to know what you're doing, even if you're a pathologist. You'll have the rest of your life to do anesthesia.