Anesthesia electives?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by m3unsure, Aug 6, 2006.

1. m3unsure

m3unsure Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone,

Is it necessary to do more than one career elective (since I don't care to go to any particular place)? I'm trying to get an icu month but if not, am I okay to just have the 1 month of gen anesth? Suggestions to improve the application in terms of fourth year electives? Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bubalus

bubalus Member
    5+ Year Member

If you want to do anesthesia, you should do a month of anesthesia some time during med school before the applications/interviews. In my opinion, you do not need to do more than that and should spend your time doing other useful rotations. ICU is good. I always tell people they should do things they won't be doing again. I think derm and sports medicine rotations are good. People will ask you to look at their spot simply because you're a doctor and your neighbor's kid will sprain his ankle, and you're supposed to know what you're doing, even if you're a pathologist. You'll have the rest of your life to do anesthesia.

3. DrRobert

DrRobert Day or Night
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One month of anesthesia and one month of ICU or Pulmonology would be plenty.