Anesthesia in Alaska

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmado

PharmaDo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm coming to the end of my CA-2 year and am in the networking / life-decision making portion of residency. I grew up near the mountains and have lived most my life in places where snow shovels are a must, although I'm in residency in Texas. I have 3 young kids 5 and under who have always lived in warm climates and a wife who loves the outdoors and grew up in an area where cows severely outnumbered the people. I am seriously considering pursuing a job in Alaska since it's always something I've wanted to do and I have no particular geographic restrictions. Can anyone who has practiced in Alaska (or anything with some resemblance) comment on the job market, climate acclimation, overall difficulties etc of making such a move? I would appreciate any and all view points that I may not have considered. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy as long as you share why you think so. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really, really cold.

-Your kids will hate you.
-Then they'll get used to it.
-Then, when you move back to Earth, they'll be shocked that temperatures over 50 exist.

It's a decent idea if the goal is to get on your feet financially. But, as a life-long plan, it leaves much for your family to desire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live here and love it
your kids might not so much
extreme temperatures
Dark 20 hours in winter
sunny 20 hours in summer
You learn to luv it

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Do something your family hates and you'll end up being a cautionary tale similar to what critical element described in another thread.

Happy Wife, happy life. Consider her thoughts and feelings when making a decision. How will her time be occupied when you're working? If she's going to be with the children primarily, what can she do when she needs a break from the kids? How long do you plan on being out there? Have you discussed this with wifey? Where do you and your family want to relocate to if this is a temporary plan? What's wifey's plan once you head back to civilization and the kids are in school?

Notice most of the questions involve your wife? Although you'll be moving for work and $$$, life outside of work has to be considered.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I would certainly never make a decision of this magnitude without consulting my wife, who would happily slap me and laugh at such a decision. She's on board as well. There is more to the decision than money, although I'd certainly not turn down a good job. I grew up living within 5 miles of both sets of grandparents. My brother and sisters live within 5 miles of my parents. I doubt any of my siblings has seen more than maybe 8 or 10 different states at best and my parents (not much better) had never been out of the country until recently. They've experienced very little and are content. Myself, I want my children to have experiences, meet new people, live somewhere unique and I also want that for myself. However, I don't want to move somewhere that my entire family will hate. I guess that's a judgment my wife and I would have to make to decide if they would hate it. I suppose only my 5 yr old would even remember the sun and hold its absence against me. I appreciate the advice and the different opinions on what a move such as that would be like.

I wanted to live in Alaska when I was in elementary school because I thought I could ride a dog sled to school everyday. I also remember thinking that the darkness in the winter would make it easier to stay inside and do my homework. Perhaps you can use these as selling points to your wife and kids.

Reactions: 3 users
I grew up in Alaska and I'm planning to go back when I've (hopefully) finished residency. As others have said, don't go unless your wife is at least as enthusiastic about Alaska as you are. I used to live in a town with a large Coast Guard base, and the same pattern repeated itself every year- guys would get deployed up there in June and immediately fall in love with the fishing, hiking, kayaking etc. Around January, their wives would get fed up with the cold, snow, rain, and lack of malls, and would head back to the Lower 48, along with half the guy's money. The very worst financial move you can possibly make as a doctor is to get divorced.

I don't know what the specific market for anesthesiology is, but I can tell you that there's a real shortage of doctors throughout the state, especially outside of Anchorage. The family medicine residents I'm currently rotating with tell me they're getting offers in rural Alaska for new grads starting at 300k. That's about 50% above their national average, so I'm guessing pay for anesthesiologists is equally high. If you're interested in doing locums there are always lots of really good opportunities over the summer as populations in tourist and fishing-based towns swell and salaried doctors go on vacation.

It can get really cold up there, though. I've frozen shots of whiskey solid by leaving them out on the porch in the daytime, and then watched the temperature drop another ten degrees the next day. Other places aren't so cold, but can be really rainy. As a general rule, the summers are beautiful everywhere, and they're plenty warm enough everywhere except the North Slope, where I don't think there will be any anesthesiology jobs. No matter where you end up I recommend you thoroughly investigate before you sign a contract. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about specific towns.

I think I'd much rather live in Montana than Alaska, and you can probably make around the same money there. I had a friend from AK in college, he was from some money and it didn't change the reality of living in Alaska. It's extreme. It's no social hub either. You will be one of the limited wealthy and educated families. That's more baggage for the wife and kids. My friend HATED AK even though he was an extreme sports and outdoors oriented person. He's in CO now.

--
Il Destriero

I find it interesting to hear peoples opinions that living in Alaska is/was horrible. I've seen multiple rankings that list Alaska at or near the top of the happiest states to live in, nearly always coming in among the top 3 states for happiness and well-being. I suppose that it is a great place to live for some, and a horrible place for others. This is why I'm so interested in learning more about it so that I can make a better determination of which camp my family would fall into.

http://www.businessinsider.com/happiest-state-rankings-2016-1

I find it interesting to hear peoples opinions that living in Alaska is/was horrible. I've seen multiple rankings that list Alaska at or near the top of the happiest states to live in, nearly always coming in among the top 3 states for happiness and well-being. I suppose that it is a great place to live for some, and a horrible place for others. This is why I'm so interested in learning more about it so that I can make a better determination of which camp my family would fall into.

People who live in Alaska are happy to live there.

People in the other 49 states can't imagine being happy there (and tend to think all Alaskans are a little nuts).

Last edited:
People who live in Alaska are happy to live there.

People in the other 49 states can't imagine being happy there (and tend to think all Alaskans are a little nuts).
Lot of online stores don't deliver there.

I wouldn't mind doing 3-6 months locum.

2 great sayings about AK:

Alaska, where the men are men, and so are the women.

And, if you are a woman in AK looking for a man:

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Reactions: 10 users

If you love hiking, fishing, kayaking, beachcombing, camping, or doing anything else outside, you'll be very happy in Alaska. If you have to have a mall, good restaurants and a symphony that don't require a plane ride to Anchorage to get to, you'll hate Alaska. The state's population is very self-selecting; if you aren't happy there you won't be living there. Lots of people move there intending to stay for a year and then fall in love with the place and never leave. Just as many move up there and move right back out after their first winter, never to return.

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is the total lack of state taxes. There's no state income tax, sales tax, or property tax, although this may change if oil prices remain low and the state continues to run a budget deficit. Borough (equivalent of county) and city taxes tend to be pretty reasonable too, and you generally get good public services in exchange for your tax dollars. As an added bonus, all Alaska residents get a yearly Permanent Fund Dividend check. The amount varies, but last year it was about $2000. With your wife and three kids that will add up to a $10k bonus around mid-September.

I'd like to chime in...

I'm a CA1 who plans to go back in a couple years.

The job market there is usually really good, in anchorage you can find a job if you look a little a head of time. Outlying areas always have locums or permanent openings.

I can't really speak about specifics as I haven't signed a contract or anything, but several people from my program have gone there and love it.

Alaska isn't horrible, if you love the things it has to offer. If you love the things that it lacks, you probably won't be happy.