Anesthesia Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope2BnMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Just had a question for those individuals who have gone thru the interview process. I am planning my 4th yr schedule and have the opportunity to take 2 months off. If you had to take any 2 months off for interviews which would they be?? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would second the December-January time off for interviews.

November is a bit early and you won't have heard from some of the programs even if you apply early. With that info in mind, I would take off December-January, because you will have heard back from most of your programs by then and can decide which interviews you may want to cancel and which you will go on. Of course, if you plan a light month in November, then you could still squeeze a few interviews in that month as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
PassinGas said:
I would second the December-January time off for interviews.

November is a bit early and you won't have heard from some of the programs even if you apply early. With that info in mind, I would take off December-January, because you will have heard back from most of your programs by then and can decide which interviews you may want to cancel and which you will go on. Of course, if you plan a light month in November, then you could still squeeze a few interviews in that month as well.

My first interview was november 2, and I did about 12 interviews (incl prelims) in November. I took November and Jan. off, with a light December rotation, and this worked out well. Nearly all of the programs I applied to offered several November dates, often more in Nov than Dec, but Jan was by far the most popular. Also remember that most programs will not interview during the last 1-2 weeks of December, making this a much shorter interview month.

I don't know how it is at your school, but I think it's foolish to use vacation months to interview. Your fourth year is the best vacation time ever, especially post match. What I did, and recommend you do (if you can) is to schedule one month at the end of the year, and try to get both months in the spring semester. Try to front load your schedule in the early months and get required business out of the way.

Your school faculty should NEVER prevent you from traveling for an interview. This is for your career, and besides, they want good match statistics for their school. I had a required month of surgery clinic in January of my fourth year, and I only ended up going 2 or 3 days total due to interviews and traveling.

Remember, all the residents and attendings had to interview for the match too and therefore they are very understanding. Besides, everyone is super nice to fourth years because you've made it to the end and they know you're going to be getting your %$^& kicked in next year.

These are simply my experiences, and hopefully your school is as accomodating as mine was. :thumbup: