Anesthesia Interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, I'm new here.

Just wanted to know if people out there applying for anesthesia have heard back from all their programs??

I still haven't heard back from some of my programs.

Anyone have any comments about these programs: U. of Iowa, Wash U. in St. Louis, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Cleveland Clinic?? Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have not heard from many of my anesthesia programs yet. I have heard from programs in Colorado and Arizona, but none yet from California. Are other people in the same boat?

Some programs were probably waiting for the Dean's letter (November 1st)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also waiting on quite a few anesthesia interviews and since I have to make travel arrangements right now, I decided to write the programs I applied to an email asking about the status of my application. Below is the answer from a very competitive program. Has anyone out there heard similar replies ?

"I would like to express to you appreciation for submitting your application to our Program. Unfortunately we will not be able to offer you an interview. We have already received over 600 applications this year. Since we only interview 120 people for our 22 positions, we are forced to strictly enforce particular criteria prior to offering an interview. The quality of applicants this year is just outstanding (better than I have seen in 15 years). Although this is very good for our specialty, it prevents me from being able to interview some very high quality applicants like yourself. You are clearly an excellent applicant, who is likely to do very well in residency training. I am sorry that we will not be able honor your request for an interview."

Sheesh....that's the kind of letter I've been seeing lately too. And every program that I have called to inquire about interviews have pretty much replied in the affirmative that they are swamped with applications. Shoot, can't blame people for recognizing an opportunity. Money is good, lifestyle is good, what more can ya ask for?
Keep the faith. Cheerios.

Ladies and Gentleman,

The first official rejection e-mail has arrived (the first of a few I'm sure). It's pretty classic, only because it's so damn generic. It was like a cattle herd e-mail (it started off as dear applicant); can you blame them though, it is pretty competitive this year (aahh back to the day when the guy who couldn't even get the average on the boards at my med school matched at U of Chicago). It was at Cornell and after 17 positive responses, the negative one took me aback. I find it wierd that you can get interviews at Johns Hopkins or Columbia or Penn or UCSD, but you get rejected at Cornell, or whatever (they all seem comparable is my point). I think it just got so crazy that they just started picking off old criteria, and only certain schools waited till every application came in to apply new metrics (cut off scores, class rank, etc.). Well, I still haven't heard from U Va, UCLA, U of W, Stanford, or Brigham and Women's. I'm assuming a 50 percent rejection rate (of these five, the only two I know that only reviewed apps this week were U of W and Stanford), so my list of programs are pretty set. I was only going to interview at 10...does anyone have any suggestions on that? Take care and good luck.

Well, my friend, I got my Cornell rejection today too. Damn. On the other hand, an offer from Stanford was made yesterday. Haven't heard from UWashington. UVa made their offer a month ago. Heard from Brigham&Women and Beth Israel right after the Dean's Letter. From the look of it, most programs have almost filled up all their interview slots. Bad news for those waiting for more interviews. But don't lose hope, there are people with more on their plates than they can handle who are turning down interviews, so that does open up a few more slots. All this is giving me ulcers. Good luck to all.

Congrats on stanford sandpaper; I got the denial there today eventhough two of my letters are from there (wierd, huh?). The Chairman didn't like me, and had his own opinions about everything. Overall though, the department is sound. They work hard, they don't do a lot of research, but it's a good teaching program.

The only one of the remaining that I think I might get an interview at is U of W. I'm surprised it's taken U Va, UCLA, and Duke (the only three others I'm waiting on) this long to tell me to go screw myself. It should have taken far less time than this. I didn't apply to any Boston programs save the obligatory MGH app (just cause everybody should do that at least once in their lives), which they've already told anyone who is non-traditional to not bother.

I do have a question however...I've heard that ranking anymore than 10 programs is somewhat of a waste. If you don't match at one of your first ten, then it's pretty pointless. Is that true, because I was only going to go to ten interviews. Do you have any feedback on that at all? That would be greatly appreciated. I have five other interviews at great programs that I was going to have to turn down because I didn't want to go to more than ten. So your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all, and I will hopefully see some of you on the interview trail. Take care....

just a piece of advice on interviewing: i know it's expensive flying around to all of these places, but there is some benefit to going to programs that you initially don't think you'd want to go to. it's good to see programs that you don't like because it provides a way of comparing the programs and emphasizing those that have strengths to which you are drawn. this is just some advice from my interviews in internal medicine last year. i am surprised at how competitive anesthesiology has become.

Originally posted by brownman:

I didn't apply to any Boston programs save the obligatory MGH app (just cause everybody should do that at least once in their lives), which they've already told anyone who is non-traditional to not bother.
•••

I was just curious about this last statement -- can you elaborate more? Does MGH not like older students or students who took a decelerated path through med school (ie, a 5-year plan that some schools offer), students who take time off during med school, etc?

Lilycat,

MGH makes it a particular point to say (according to one of the professors there you can even see it on their website, though I haven't looked)that if you take time off during med school or time off after...they aren't interested. I don't know if this applies to people who are older when they start. That is debatable. Well...always remember...in the end it's irrelevant. If you are going into private practice, one program is just like the other. But if you want to do research or academics, then you should care. Laters....

Hello Browndude, sorry to hear about Stanford my man, but there are many more quality programs out there aside from Stanford. As for your question, I can't answer it for ya. According to certain stats quoted by some, if you get at least 10 interviews, your chance of matching is around 90% or more. More than 10 interviews, you're on the flat part of the curve with diminishing returns.

A friend of mine has already turned down Mayo, Dartmouth, Emory, and Northwestern because she has interviews at other choice places like UVa, Brighams, etc. (The dude from Northwestern said to her, "We've never had anyone turn us down before." Heheh...there's always a first time for everything man.) Just because they offer don't mean ya gotta bite ya know. With all that said, if you feel confident that you'll like the ten programs you've pick and that you're not likely to present yourself as a psychopath during interviews, then stay the course and go with ten. This process is already so time consuming and financially costly, why waste any more of it.

I know that wasn't very helpful, but that's my take on it. Maybe I'll see ya on the trail. Cheerios.

Cleveland rejected me last week. I'm glad I'm not the only one recieving rejection e-mails.

Has any one been invited to Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins or Mount Sinai or have they just sent rejection e-mails?

Does anybody know how good are St. Vincent's (NY) St. Luke's-Roosevelt (NY), Mout Sinai (NY), Chicago and Jackson-Memorial (FL)? How would you rate them from 1 to 10, supposing Harvard is 10? Thakyou

Members don't see this ad :)
Sand Papier,

I finally got my interview offers from Duke, UVa, UCLA, and Brigham. My hotmail account has been over the limit for some time...so they've been routing everything till I pay (bastards). The problem is I've already set up my interview schedule, so outside of UCLA I'm turning the others down (which is a shame because they're all great programs). Hey you snooze...you lose. They get to turn us down capriciously...why can't we do the same. I decided on 12 programs in the end (ten hardcore academic ones and 2 that are good academic programs that are geared more towards private practice). It's not financial for me (working in the business world for a year has definately set me up), but more time consumption. I just can't afford to spend all that time on the road. In the end...25 applications, 3 rejections (MGH, Stanford, Cornell). One of my letters from Stanford contacted me and told me that everyone else on the five person committee loved me except the Chairman, who questioned my dedication because I took a year off after med school (bastard). So the advice to everyone out there...no free thinking...medicine is a path...just except it.

To Guarro, I have already gone to my Columbia interview and the others have already responded (I hope you get my Mt. Sinai interview..I turned it down). I got interviews everywhere but MGH which turned me down. What I can tell just in general is that...it doesn't matter. You will be a good private practice anesthesiologist no matter where you go. If you want to invent new monitor systems or discover brain hypoxia from anesthestics in rats then you should care where you go (research in anethesia is bullshizzz anyway). The other programs in terms of rank: u of chicago = 9; jackson = 7; every other is a five (except maybe rooselvelt). Jackson is a mad house and you get worked like an animal (if you love trauma, you will get it). That's all I know...if you're interviewing at u chicago, I'll see you there. Take care, and good luck with it all.

Hi. I still haven't heard from 2/3 of the programs I applied to. Maybe it is because I applied in the beggining of November or maybe it is because they are not inviting for interviews anymore. I don't know but I's getting me very cranky to see my inbox empty everyday. For my consolation I try to think that an empty inbox is better than one full of rejections. What do you think about my situation?

Just a quick question...no one's mentioned UCSF??? Anyone heard from them yet or are they not considered one of the top tier schools anymore? The suspense is killing me...

I wish everyone good luck on the interview trail!

UCSF has sent out interview offers. I declined because the program is insane (they truly work your butt off), and if anesthesia is a lifestyle choice and all the top programs are the same then you want to live in a cool city, somewhat affordable and with a life. The horror stories I hear about that place, definately made me rethink. So that's my two cents. I think they're still sending out offers, so I'm sure it's a matter of time before you get yours. Take care, and see you on the trail.

Has anyone interviewed at NYU yet. I have heard some mixed reviews about the program so I was just wondering what your impressions were. Thanks!

UCSF? Many of my buds and I didn't even apply there. Word on that place is that they emphasize too much academic and research as oppose to teaching you how to handle the real world. Too snooty, uptight, and not chill enough. Many of us choose anesthesia because of its laid-back ways; UCSF would have been an antithesis to all this. Too bad cuz the weather woulda been nice there. NYU? Didn't apply there either. The anesthesia program is in flux (new chairman?) and the surgery program overshadows it by a long mile. They only had 150 applicants last year and 100 those people were invited for interviews. The dismal result of that was that it matched only 10 of the 19 spots. You gotta wonder about the quality of the program when that happens.

Wow, I didn't realize that about UCSF, but we southern boys don't get that much info about programs out west. I owe you guys a brew on the trail for the advice. And I agree, lifestyle is definitely key.

hi everyone,

this is my first post. anyone have any word on anesthesia at medical college of ohio (toledo)? all i know is that their previous director took off for mayo clinic, and that they just have an interim director for right now.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

good luck on interviews!

Hi guys. Was wondering if anyone got rejection letters from Duke or Brigham yet. These are the only 2 places I haven't heard from - hoping I was still in the running, though it's not looking good.

I've heard Duke is pretty conservative, so they may not consider students who did years out for research like me. Any thoughts?

hi i'm kind of bummed. I just got rejected from john hopkins. I don't know if they do this to make me feel better but the director in the letter said this was the best applicant pool he's seen in 15 years. I'v also been rejected from university of florida and Rush. I think part of my problem is i still haven't gotten any of my letters of recommendation in (but i've also received 10 interviews so this can't explain it all) yet. Just wondering the rest of you people that have been rejected from one program or another are you guys us grads and what kind of board scores do you guys have.

Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody knows anything about Georgetown or Medical University of South Carolina? I'm at the point where i need to cancel/decline some of my interviews.

Thanks

The scoop on MUSC is that they lost their chairman and that the acting director hasn't really gotten around to reviewing applications. I don't know what that means for long term stability, but that's all I know. It's a shame since charleston is such a great town.

Hi,

Thanks for all the good info. Does anyone know anything good or bad about KUMC or UMKC?

Good luck.

Does anyone know about Cleveland Clinic's Anesthesiology Program? Obviously the name stands out, but what about the program itself? Also does anyone have any insight into Case Western's Program? I have heard a few negative things about their program. Just wondering what others have heard. I appreciate any insight