Cook County Anesthesia Elective - Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatStaphenous

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finishing my last week of anesthesia at John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, thought I would share my current thoughts about the rotation.

At first glance being overwhelmed in a big city with a busy patient population I couldn't feel more welcome by the residents here. The relationship the attendings and residents have here was very attracting to me. Everyone was very approachable and treated each other like family. I feel as cliche as this sounds, it is rare to have this relationship during residency. As a medical student, I didn't feel outcasted and like I was in the way during cases/procedures. I was always given an opportunity to help based on what I was comfortable doing; never forced. The PD (Dr. Nasr) is one of the nicest and most approachable attending physicians you'll ever meet and truly cares about education and the well being of his residents and medical students.

Applications are not through VSAS however so the rotation registration can be somewhat unorganized. The hospital requires nit-picky documentation for the rotation but this administrative process does not reflect the rotation at all. You spend everyday with a different resident and attending and rotate through Pain clinic, Obstetrics, Cardiac, Trauma, and a variety of other cases. The expectations are high here and it is what makes it such a strong caliber rotation/program.

I wish more people knew about this rotation and could experience the same learning environment as I did. If you want a rotation in anesthesia for a letter of recommendation, this may not be the best rotation as you'll will be with someone different daily but it is a great opportunity to network. You will learn the fundamental skills of anesthesia here and gain great insight into what the residency program is truly like.

I highly recommend this elective rotation if you are serious about anesthesia as a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users