Anesthesia is awesome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my CA3 year, and i know times can get tough, but can I just say, F*uck, i love my job

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I have the Lego movie "Everything is awesome" melody in my head now ;)

Reactions: 1 users
+1 to this - I really enjoy this field and am excited about the growing job opportunities in it. Exciting time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a nurse or what?
No. It's the senioritis speaking. No problem, they'll get a taste of humblitis/plebeitis after graduation.

P.S. Let me clear something up here: As a CA-3, I used to feel the same way the OP does. This is not negativity; it's personal (n=1) experience. Please take it as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting my CA3 year, and i know times can get tough, but can I just say, F*uck, i love my job
You don't have a job.......you're still in residency. Talk to me in 10 years, kid.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have a job.......you're still in residency. Talk to me in 10 years, kid.

Leave it up student doctor to squash optimism. So much negativity already surrounding the specialty. I don't understand why SDN feels the need to continue propagating the negativity. A lot of frustrating days, but in residency we have a glimpse of what our job is like. And I do have to say I've enjoyed CA3 so far. Still a lot to learn but I'm looking forward to work everyday.

I love my job. I look forward to going to work every day. There's nothing in the world I'd rather do.

Good for you, OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leave it up student doctor to squash optimism. So much negativity already surrounding the specialty. I don't understand why SDN feels the need to continue propagating the negativity. A lot of frustrating days, but in residency we have a glimpse of what our job is like. And I do have to say I've enjoyed CA3 so far. Still a lot to learn but I'm looking forward to work everyday.

Good attitude and there are decent/good jobs out there. With realistic expectations and the willingness to go where the good jobs are there is a bright future ahead for you.

Honestly, look around some of the other boards and the same negativity is there just in a different way for all the specialties. Rock on, Anesthesia folks.

No. It's the senioritis speaking. No problem, they'll get a taste of humblitis/plebeitis after graduation.

P.S. Let me clear something up here: As a CA-3, I used to feel the same way the OP does. This is not negativity; it's personal (n=1) experience. Please take it as such.

Allow me to share my experience. Since CA-3 year I have realized this field IS awesome. OP- enjoy. Get through residency because private practice roxx.

The money is better but that's about it!

Fortunately money makes the world go round, so I'll take it over assistant manager at Best Buy.
I know a UPS driver. Really bright guy, a classmate at a high flying university you would know. He wanted a low stress easy life, and he checked out of the rat race and got it. Just drive the car and drop off the packages. He's a senior guy now, but no management track, etc. for him. And he's in great shape, moving boxes has its advantages.

--
Il Destriero

Fortunately money makes the world go round, so I'll take it over assistant manager at Best Buy.
I know a UPS driver. Really bright guy, a classmate at a high flying university you would know. He wanted a low stress easy life, and he checked out of the rat race and got it. Just drive the car and drop off the packages. He's a senior guy now, but no management track, etc. for him. And he's in great shape, moving boxes has its advantages.

--
Il Destriero
latest

I echo Hawaiian Bruin's sentiment--would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Reminds me of the People are Awesome videos.

Nice to hear encouraging words from (mostly)everyone.

Just started fellowship and part time attending (non accredited regional fellowship, going into academics), and I absolutely love my job too. Just did my first Saturday shift running 3 to 4 room all day including kidney transplants, peds, etc.... was great. Loved it. And I am getting paid a quarter of what I'll make as full time faculty.

I realize some people are all about the money and if I went from make 500k to 300k I might feel the same, but as for the job itself.... well I love it and can't imagine doing anything else. Stay at the tip of the spear, advance your profession, and everything else will take care of itself.

P.s. in real life I am a realist with pessimistic leanings... so this post isn't coming from a happy go lucky kind of guy ;-) and I know the "you lack perspective, rookie" posts are coming from the ill-tempered. Just know that some people do honestly love this job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I realize some people are all about the money and if I went from make 500k to 300k I might feel the same
Most people are oblivious to the amout of money their work generates. When you generate 600k or more and get paid 300k it becomes a big factor in job satisfaction.

Reactions: 2 users

--
Il Destriero

Some of those guys/gals are in great shape. Even the mobile carriers for USPS are in good shape. But, as you know, it's not like those of us in ACT models (or even doing solo cases for that matter) are sitting around all day. Let's face it, anesthesia can be physically demanding. I average about 2.5 miles/day.

Back to the OP, yes, this can very well be a great career. I enjoy most days. Sure, it gets to be a grind. But, so do most jobs. I know of few "glamorous" jobs. Indeed, when you take a step back and look at the cool sh.t we get to do daily, which we often totally take for granted (as well as others take us for granted :) ), it's pretty neat. You can do way way worse. Stay relevant. Work hard. Take pride in YOUR chosen profession. Keep a good attitude. Treat people well. And enjoy a nice career. Stressful? Sure. But, show me a job which pays over 250k which doesn't come with a fair amount of stress.

Reactions: 5 users