Anesthesia programs in the Midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aster123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that there's a thread with a discussion of Midwest programs but it is rather old so I thought I'd open a new thread to get people's takes on Anesthesiology residency programs in the Midwest.

The previous thread commented on the following programs:
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Washington University
Iowa
Rush
MCOW
Michigan
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Indiana
UIC

How would you guys rank these in terms of competitiveness and quality of the programs (I'm aware that this is a loaded term, but let's make believe that it's a purely objective assessment)?

Members don't see this ad.

I reviewed several (6? I think) in an entry on 2008 Program Reviews. If you want specifics on them you can read them there.

I think the first thing you should decide on is location. For example, Rochester, MN is a far cry from Chicago, IL. If you can't live in small towns/large cities, then that helps you narrow down your choices. I know it sounds trite right now to say that location matters so much [I thought the EXACT same thing last year], but it really does.

Given that you listed many strong programs (some stronger than others from my admittedly limited knowledge/experience), I think it's reasonable to say that the single biggest difference between them is location (IMO).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would put Vandy in the South. Not really a mid-west feel if you ask me.

I'm aware that there's a thread with a discussion of Midwest programs but it is rather old so I thought I'd open a new thread to get people's takes on Anesthesiology residency programs in the Midwest.

The previous thread commented on the following programs:
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Washington University
Iowa
Rush
MCOW
Michigan
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Indiana
UIC

How would you guys rank these in terms of competitiveness and quality of the programs (I'm aware that this is a loaded term, but let's make believe that it's a purely objective assessment)?

You'll be fine coming out of any of those programs :thumbup:

i may be biased, but I thought U of Kentucky was pretty strong. great PD, wide exposure of cases, good didactics, moonlighting, and excellent COL.

i may be biased, but I thought U of Kentucky was pretty strong. great PD, wide exposure of cases, good didactics, moonlighting, and excellent COL.

Agree

I am at U Mich. Is there anything specific you want to know about?

Ender

Nothing related to the post but man..ENDER'S GAME IS AN AWESOME BOOK!!!my favorite of all time. they should make it into a movie.

Have you read ENDER'S SHADOW?..it's about BEAN, another awesome story!

Nothing related to the post but man..ENDER'S GAME IS AN AWESOME BOOK!!!my favorite of all time. they should make it into a movie.

I have read them all except Shadow of the Giant. I don't have much time for reading fiction right now. I still like Ender's Game the best.

Haha, and now, they have.